Edimax EW-7811Un works with PPC/10.4-10.5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Oct 30, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Unfortunately, it isn't native, it appears as an Ethernet adaptor, and has a separate preference pane for Wifi, but it its speedy, small and cheap (8.50 on Amazon). I originally bought it for a Raspberry Pi project, but I said 'what the hell' and plugged it in. Didn't work, but I downloaded the appropriate drivers and it shows up and works fine.

2. weckart macrumors 601

I had one too. Unfortunately, it has a range of about 10ft. Gave it to my brother where it serves as his Raspberry Pi adapter.

Not a fan of Ralink adapters in general. They do not fare well with OSX. Soon you will get connection errors and drop outs. It is an OSX issue as the same adapters work better with Windows and Linux.

There are hacks to replace the Ralink app with something that looks like the Airport menu item and starts automatically on booting up.

3. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Oh nice. I put the iMac to sleep, it would detect. I see your point, but its a minor annoyance.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It isn't an OS X issue per se. It is more of an issue with Ralink not properly developing good drivers and software for their adapters.

5. weckart macrumors 601

I am giving Ralink the benefit of the doubt here, since the issues with OSX are largely absent from the other platforms. My experience with OSX since Leopard is that WiFi is inconsistently reliable from one update to the next. You only have to glance at the Yosemite forums to see that Apple still cannot get its network stack right.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

With that being said, I have used many Linksys and Netgear USB adapters with various chipsets in many different machines over the years without issue.

7. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

That is a good point, but for the price of this adaptor, its totally fine for me. Just a minor annoyance here and there.