Edison Mail Responds to Report on Email Apps Selling Anonymized Data Scraped From Inboxes [Updated]

jk1211

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
(edited for typos)

But why disagree? I am not a dev but if I use a free service I expect the devs to make money somehow to keep on making apps. I mean you can pay for an app if you don't want to be monetized in any way and then I would be pissed. But the app is free which should tell you something about how the devs are getting paid and the app itself tells you it collects and sells data.

You can't eat the cake and keep it at the same time.
There are plenty of free apps that the app doesnt monetize (more than the service you are already using but a different topic). The official gmail app, yahoo mail, Outlook, Protonmail. Mostly the apps that sell a mail service too. But that doesnt mean you cant use those for other types of accounts too.

They make the app for their service, to keep you in their ecosystem; that app just happens to allow 3rd party accounts too.

It's these small "Indie" apps that are the major issue as there is no business model behind them or a company with $500 billion. Ie. iOS outlook development budget is likely a drop in the bucket for Microsoft to maintain- and keeps people in their Exchange environment more.

icanhazmac

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2018
I wish Apple would fix it’s Mail app so that it’s remotely useful for anything other than junk mail. It’s definitely not usable for business.
Legit question... what does the Mail app not do for you? I use it for business every day, I'm not a power user at a fortune 100 company but it serves my purposes.
- - Post merged: - -

Apple needs to add something new to App Submittals, a checkbox that says "Collects NO User Data".
THIS!

Could be a great way for developers to advertise "pay for" apps. Let the app be the product, not the user.

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Works just fine for me. And works really well for filtering junk mail.
Legit question... what does the Mail app not do for you? I use it for business every day, I'm not a power user at a fortune 100 company but it serves my purposes.
- Doesn’t honor different reply-to emails from senders.
- Doesn’t offer dedicated attachment fields. Inline only, which leads to ATT00001 files server side.
- Doesn’t allow sending from different email aliases, except it’s own on iCloud.

Some of these can be cross-platform issues but in this case it’s supported by the email server, but Apple doesn’t support it. Keep in mind, Apple supports these features on its macOS desktop Mail app but it refuses to implement anything more than basic junk filtering for mobile email, hence why they still include the “Sent from my iPhone” disclaimer.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
...hence why they still include the “Sent from my iPhone” disclaimer.
You know that's just a string of text used as a signature, and you can edit it, right?

It works just fine for business. I can't disclose whom I work for other than to say we're global, but our iPhone users get on just fine. Maybe it just doesn't work for your specific use case.

Reactions: zinacef

JosephAW

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2012
Recently I was playing around with several email apps to see which one worked best. Ended up back at Apple email on iOS 12. All those apps had various means to signing up including needing a phone number.
After I signed out of all the apps and deleting them I decided to change my email password since I don't know who has good data protection and those who done. A few days later I started getting text messages from some of those email apps saying they couldn't sign in and process my emails.
Even though I signed out and canceled their services they will still trying to access my account. Glad I changed it.

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
You know that's just a string of text used as a signature, and you can edit it, right?

It works just fine for business. I can't disclose whom I work for other than to say we're global, but our iPhone users get on just fine. Maybe it just doesn't work for your specific use case.
Yes I know. Regular text works fine, which is what you use it for presumably. Doesn’t matter where or what type of business.

But anything more than regular text is terrible to format on Mail. You can’t even add attachments properly for starters.

luvbug

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
If they were doing that with a normal piece of mail, i.e. a letter, it would be a felony. You could be opening the letter to put $100 bill in it, without every reading a word, and it would still be a felony. So, tell me why this activity is not?

Reactions: compwiz1202

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
For those pushing for a "Collects NO user data" box, it isn't that simple. For example, any email application collects server and authentication information even if only temporarily. Well, maybe just storing user data not on the user's device. There goes any sort of cloud syncing type functional. Ok, so maybe we draw the line at sending to third parties. Well that doesn't work, the authentication info goes to the server company, likely a third party.

The reality is that there isn't a clear cut boundary of what is invading privacy or not. And that boundary is different for different people. I do think trying to demand clear explanations of what data is collected and what is done with that data is a worthy effort.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I wish Apple would fix it’s Mail app so that it’s remotely useful for anything other than junk mail. It’s definitely not usable for business.
Exactly. I would have still been with Apple Mail if it didn't break badly with iOS 13. No point in it looking nice or being private if it doesn't work.

Reactions: tennisproha

Kesen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
You are the product anyway, no matter if it's a free or paid app/service.
Google does this as well, officially, no surprise here :)

Apple still has some "dignity" in this field, for now, LOL
Not actually tho. Take ProtonMail for example, you’re not the product lol. There are a few apps in the minority that don’t sell or use your data but they are usually paid apps for sure.

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
We need a seal of privacy approval given a 3rd party entity to services and apps that do not collect or share your data kind of like a the FairTrade seal. The internet became the cyber wild west, its no longer about sending a virus that shuts your PC, you can be blackmailed for real.

return2sendai

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
I use “ProtonMail”. If you are concerned about privacy, ”Security” is like a virus checker for scraping. Also “Temp Mail” and “iBlocker”. Plus “Brave” for browsing. DickDuckGo is a bit of a con, with Google blacking.