"Edit" a DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Eusebius, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Eusebius macrumors member

I've no experience with video, perhaps someone here can help with a small problem.

I was recently given a DVD of a school theatre production (uncopyrighted material), which has unrelated segments at the beginning which I would like to get rid of. Is it possible to transfer the DVD data to the hard drive, cut out what I don't want and burn a new DVD with the edited results? What applications would I use to do this? I've never used imovie before, would that be an appropriate application? I couldn't figure out how to import DVD data into imovie -- is that possible? I also have handbrake, mactheripper and toast 7.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Use MPEG Streamclip (freeware) to demux the DVD's VOB files into it's elemental audio (AC3 or AIFF) and video (.m2v) streams. Note that you'll need Apple's QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component ($20.00) in order for MPEG Streamclip to work with the MPEG-2 format.

In MPEG Streamclip, set an IN and OUT point for the segment you want to keep, then let it do the demuxing. Once that's done, import the resulting two files into DVD Studio Pro for remuxing & burning.

By keeping it in it's elemental streams, you'll minimize the quality loss.

If you only have iMovie and iDVD to work with, you'll need to convert the DVD's VOB files into a .dv file. Import it into iMovie, edit as needed, then use iDVD for burning the new version. NOTE, conversion to an editable format WILL mean a quality loss.

-DH

3. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Thanks for this thread. I needed to know this too. I only have iMovie & iDVD to work with. Well, Final Cut Express 3.5 HD too, but i don't think that'll help in this case.

Anyways, just put the summary up on my blog over here: http://r1c.com/blog/?p=19

I both perform and record stand-up comedy around the DC area (showcase of some good stand-up over here YouTube.com/R1i) and a lot of the people who buy DVDs later ask me how to rip them to put online. If I still have the footage, I'll help them out, but if I don't anymore, I never know what to tell them. Now I do.

4. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Because you didn't say it had to be free, I thought I'd point to Cinematize

Although MPEG Streamclip is also useful.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Someone who organizes Stand-up shows around the DC area just handed me a playable DVD of a few comedians around the area and asked me to pull some vids for him that he can use for YouTube. The DVD is just one video track.

I have downloaded mpeg streamclip and have the Quicktime $20 component.

In this thread, for the OP's specific needs, the suggestion that was given out was to demux it to .m2v & .aiff. I did that w/ the first 2 minutes and 20 seconds of the video track on this DVD and the file created was a 75.6 MB .m2v file and the .aiff file was a 25.9mb file

But if my goal is to give him some short clips as files that he can just upload to youtube, what's the best suggestion? I did an export to Quicktime for the same 2 minutes: 22 seconds and the file is 244 megabytes (854 x 480). For compression, I just went with the default selected Apple Motion JPEG A.

There's also some interlacing i'm noticing on both the .m2v file and the .mov file.

6. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

You don't really have to buy anything separately. Just rip the contents from Handbrake onto your desktop and it will export it as .mp4. Then, open iMovie and import the clips, edit out the bad footage, and export it to iDVD and burn....voila! No need to buy additional software!

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

What are the reasons for going w/ handbrake over mpeg streamclip or vice versa

8. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Didn't DH say that in order to use MPEG Streamclip, he needs to buy the $20 Quicktime MPEG 2 Playback Component? I thought I would suggest something that was free, am I wrong? Thanks.

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Handbrake is free. If you do it with streamclip and DVDSP, you can avoid any quality loss.

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

ok, so I have streamclip and the Quicktime component that's $20, but don't have DVDSP. But what is the best start to finish method of grabbing a portion of a DVD with the intent of giving it to someone as a file to upload to YouTube.