edit a entire movie on the mac mini!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Agnoslibertine, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Agnoslibertine macrumors member

Agnoslibertine

Im not kidding.

I am just finishing up a project, I have been working for the last two years on a low budget movie with friends. Color grading, fx's etc. Been using FCPx. We are talking about a close to 2hour long movie.

I have the mac mini 2012, i7, 16gb.

When I started I didn't think it would be possible, but I'm in the final stages of post production.

How was it even possible?
    - proxy
    yeah, when I edited and color graded, I used the proxy setting, then when I had to export it, i went to full mode again.

- cut up the movie project into 15 min short movies, then once they have been edited etc. just splice the finished movies together. easy.

- i7 processor is almost a must. highly recommended.

I am just amazed what you can do with the mac mini. Sure there was some patience involved, but there was never a moment of "i can't work like this".

FCPx is also just super fantastic to use. Love that program.

here you can read about the movie project:
    http://thedeserters-officialsite.blogspot.se/

anyway, for those of you who are still thinking about getting a mac to start making movies. I can tell you it is possible.

2. beyond macrumors member

beyond

Cool!

3. Agnoslibertine thread starter macrumors member

Agnoslibertine

4. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Nice one.

The early Mac Minis were had their shortcomings. Since the early 2009 they have been up there, only a little behind the iMac in performance, and are probably all the computer that most people need.

5. Agnoslibertine thread starter macrumors member

Agnoslibertine

yeah the dedicated graphics card is a plus on the mac side. but on the other hand, changing the hard drive can be a real BI***.

With mac mini, rather upgrade friendly. two hard drives can easily be inserted. love that feature.

Im just impressed myself, considering its size. Sure id like to have the mac pro, but I'm just saying a mac mini can get the job done.