Edit a F4V Video File?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by John Doe 57, Sep 19, 2010.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I have a video file that wants to open using Adobe Media Player. I want to cut out some parts of the video file by using QuickTime.

Unfortunately, the Cut tool in QuickTime doesn't work for this video. I can select the part of the video I don't want, but when attempting to Cut, nothing is Cut out. :confused:

I have also tried to save the file from QuickTime but it will only make a Reference File. I have also put the video into Final Cut Pro which results in a General Error.

Is there a way to edit F4V files? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried MPEG Streamclip yet? It is able to open .FLV files at least.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I didn't try MPEG Streamclip because I wasn't sure if the video quality would remain the same after export. Either way I had to change the extension of the file from F4V to MP4 and I was able to import it into Streamclip. *It wouldn't accept the F4V file extension.

After export, can I keep the video quality or something close to it in Streamclip?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as MPEG Streamclip offers lots of formats/containers and codecs, many quite lossless.
    For what is the video for and where do you want to use it?

I just ask, as there is a myriad of ways to export it now. Btw, could you trim the clip in QuickTime?

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Alright nice! I've been using Streamclip for ages and never really did learn the ins and outs of it. Its just a video for personal use. I tired trimming it in QT and it just wouldn't work.

UPDATE:
    Streamclip says that it "can't prepare the movie" during export.