Edit an mp3 with quicktime

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
Hi

I have an mp3 that i want to use as my mobile phone ring tone. However I want the song to start at a certain point.

I opened the file in quick time and cut the beginning of the song i dont want out, then saved the file. The problem is it no longer saves as an mp3, it has now saved as a movie file.

Any ideas how i could do this?

Thanks
 

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
5,835
1,783
Western US
ScotRobson said:
I have an mp3 that i want to use as my mobile phone ring tone. However I want the song to start at a certain point.

I opened the file in quick time and cut the beginning of the song i dont want out, then saved the file. The problem is it no longer saves as an mp3, it has now saved as a movie file.

Any ideas how i could do this?
You can use the Export... menu item in QuickTime Player, using "Sound as AIFF" (uncompressed audio), then have iTunes convert it to an MP3 (Advanced menu).
 

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
307
58
Nottingham, England.
Easier ways to do this !

ScotRobson said:
Hi

I have an mp3 that i want to use as my mobile phone ring tone. However I want the song to start at a certain point.

I opened the file in quick time and cut the beginning of the song i dont want out, then saved the file. The problem is it no longer saves as an mp3, it has now saved as a movie file.

Any ideas how i could do this?

Thanks
I frequently do this EXACT thing to put ringtones onto my V3 RAZR. I downloaded an excellent shareware app called MP3 Trimmer (search on google - it comes out on top). It clips MP3 Files without re-encoding so is very quick.
 

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
davegoody said:
I frequently do this EXACT thing to put ringtones onto my V3 RAZR. I downloaded an excellent shareware app called MP3 Trimmer (search on google - it comes out on top). It clips MP3 Files without re-encoding so is very quick.
Well the export option in quicktime is greyed out. So i will have a look at mp3 trimmer

Thanks a lot
Scot
 

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
Ok, my mistake - its not actually an mp3 as i bought it off iTunes - so mp3 trimmer will not work- its an mp4

Any other ideas?
 

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
stoid said:
iMovie might be your best bet. Export under Expert settings and turn off the video portion.
Im terible with iMove, i find it really complicated and have never been able to use it.

Anyway, im trying. Ive imported my movie file and nothing changes in iMovie - Ive looked for Expert settings and cant find it anyway.

The only option i can see is an extract audio in the advanced drop down but that is greyed out.

Also my iMovie project shows that it lasts for 00.00 and when i press play i dont hear anything. It looked like it imported properly as i got a blue progress bar.

I cant believe this is proving to be so difficult, I would have thought it to be an easy task
 

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
5,835
1,783
Western US
ScotRobson said:
Well the export option in quicktime is greyed out. So i will have a look at mp3 trimmer
OK, the Export options must require QuickTime Pro to be installed, however, there is no problem with saving a movie. as iTunes will read them fine. Do this:

1. Open in QuickTime Player.
2. Set in and out points and Trim.
3. Save As (and select Make Self-Contained in the save dialog).
4. Drag that movie into iTunes.
5. In iTunes, select it and choose Convert To MP3 from the Advanced menu (requires MP3 to be set as the import format first in the Preferences window).

I tried this and it works fine (on 10.3.8).
 

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
HiRez said:
OK, the Export options must require QuickTime Pro to be installed, however, there is no problem with saving a movie. as iTunes will read them fine. Do this:

1. Open in QuickTime Player.
2. Set in and out points and Trim.
3. Save As (and select Make Self-Contained in the save dialog).
4. Drag that movie into iTunes.
5. In iTunes, select it and choose Convert To MP3 from the Advanced menu (requires MP3 to be set as the import format first in the Preferences window).

I tried this and it works fine (on 10.3.8).
Hi thanks for your reply, I tried this and it was working until i asked itunes to conver to mp3 - i was told protected files can't be changed. As i bought the file from itunes music store so i guess im screwed.

Its a shame that i cant use my own music that i have bought to put on my own mobile phone only in an edited format :(
 

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
199
0
Los Angeles
ScotRobson said:
Hi thanks for your reply, I tried this and it was working until i asked itunes to conver to mp3 - i was told protected files can't be changed. As i bought the file from itunes music store so i guess im screwed.

Its a shame that i cant use my own music that i have bought to put on my own mobile phone only in an edited format :(
JHymn can strip the DRM off the file.

Hymn Project
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Search for Jhymn on Google.

I will say no more... it is backup software.... but it does a bit more than that. Not illegal, mind you. Just don't feel like bending forum rules.
 

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,538
95
or burn the file to a cd, then drag the AIF track off the cd and edit that in Quicktime.

Lee Tom
 

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
5,835
1,783
Western US
LeeTom said:
or burn the file to a cd, then drag the AIF track off the cd and edit that in Quicktime.
That's the easiest way. With the fidelity you're going to get on a cel phone, you'll never notice.
 

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
LeeTom said:
or burn the file to a cd, then drag the AIF track off the cd and edit that in Quicktime.

Lee Tom
Ok, so how do I do that?

I've copied the mp4 onto a disc but its still an mp4. was something meant to happen to it?

Do I have to use a certain type of disc aswell?
 

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,759
133
Harrogate
You need to burn the CD from iTunes (not the Finder). Before you burn another CD ensure that you have iTunes set to burn Audio CDs (not Data or MP3). This is set via the Burning tab on iTunes preferences. Note that although MP3 CD sounds like the option you want I don't think that iTunes will let you get an unprotected MP3 from a protected file that way, although it will let you burn a normal audio CD and then rip that to MP3.
 

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
310
0
Torquay UK
robbieduncan said:
You need to burn the CD from iTunes (not the Finder). Before you burn another CD ensure that you have iTunes set to burn Audio CDs (not Data or MP3). This is set via the Burning tab on iTunes preferences. Note that although MP3 CD sounds like the option you want I don't think that iTunes will let you get an unprotected MP3 from a protected file that way, although it will let you burn a normal audio CD and then rip that to MP3.
GREAT :D Thats worked I now have it in mp3 and it is copying to my phone right now.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Its strange because something always seems so difficult but in the end there is always a very simple solution.

Thanks again everyone
Scot
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.