Edit File & Folder Titles on External Drive.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bodkin, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bodkin macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I looked and can't find anything on it.

I have all my music on an external Toshiba 500Gb hard drive. It has been kept like this for ages. There is a folder for each artist and within that a folder for each album containing the MP3 or Flac files.

Since installing Mavericks it is extremely difficult to edit either the folder or file titles. I've tried using the trackpad and magic mouse. I get the folder or file to highlight but then I click around without the title becoming editable. If I try a different title or file that can't be edited either.

If I drag the file onto the desktop I can edit tracks without issue.

I have another external drive with other assorted media files and that is similarly unresponsive to editing. Sometimes I get to make three or four edits before the editing freeze hits other times it happens straight away.

Both are editable spasmodically. I just can't work out why it works sometimes and not others.

Is this a 'tag' problem? None of the files contain unusual text symbols and the drives have been fine up until now.

How can an update cause something as basic as file renaming to become so damn difficult?!?

Running Mid 2010 iMac 12Gb Ram i3 Processor.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

not sure I understand your problem.

If you want to rename a folder or a file, you just need to select it and hit the Enter key, but I guess you already know that ?

(works fine for me on external hard drives, I am running Mavericks).

3. bodkin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha Ha Ha ha, Brilliant.

That works. You are absolutely 100% correct. It works.

For years I 'click' once to highlight, and a second time to edit. Maybe things moved on and I got left behind. Your method works but it is a shame mine has become obsolete.

Thanks for the tip.

:)

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You're welcome.

However, your method still works for me (Mavericks, and several external hard drives, exFAT, HFS+, etc... works everywhere).