Edit: Finally GOT the Object of My Affection...Mind Lending a Hand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by analytical44, Jul 29, 2009.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

Alright, I know there's been threads similar to this before but please cut me some slack; I'm just so damn excited! I will finally be buying a 13" MBP tomorrow morning after waiting patiently for 4 months (waited 2 for the WWDC) to be able to afford it and I feel like I'm 10 again. This will be my 2nd Mac but my 1st since my first ever computer, a Mactintosh Performa that my mother bought for me way back in 1994.

Besides wanting to share my untameable excitement :)D can you feel that smile?), I wanted to reach out to the community for any suggestions. I've been doing crazy amounts of research for the best apps but I always feel like there are some that I miss.

Basically, I'm just asking for some suggestions on apps, settings, etc. Whateva you feel could be beneficial. Thanks in advance for the advice. I know I'm geeking but I just can't help it :p

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I recommend Kernel Panic. It helps you migrate from Windows by not having such a sudden shock of a working OS.
    :rolleyes:

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

This is kind of old. But most of these apps are still around, they are just newer versions. If you click the links on the page it takes you to the recent version i think.

Click HERE for a list of apps and stuff.

4. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

@ geoffreak: Kernel Panic? What's that about?

5. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

It's arrived....I'm excited. One more question, and I know I've read the answer in one of these threads but I don't know which one. In terms of battery calibration, what should I do when I open it? Run it down til its dead and calibrate? Charge before I use it? I just wanna open it and start playing, is that the best thing for the battery?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Battery Calibration. This can be done any time so you can start using your Mac right away. It would be best if you charge it up for a couple hours though before you first turn it on.

Kernel Panic

7. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much geof

8. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

You've probably turned these up in your research already, and without knowing what you're using it for and giving specific apps - here's some you should think about installing anyway:

Perian, Growl, 1Password, Handbrake, Candybar, Bytecontroller, I love stars, DaisyDisk, Fluid, Quicksilver, Tweetie, VLC?, UnRarX. There's more, I know it!

Google for links!

9. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I tend to use a fairly light set of programs when setting up a new Mac:

Perian - to get the WMVs working
    VLC - to be able to view everything from obscurish video files to small stones
    Firefox - because Safari can't handle everything
    Adium - for MSN/AIM/Yahoo/whatever
    Transmission - for torrents.
    UnrarX - for other than zip-archives.

After that it's a pretty much a matter of what you tend to do with your computer. I install iWork and/or Office and Aperture after those and then I'm good to go. Rest falls into place with time and use.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

And the holy grail of Mac OSX video players: Plex!:D

11. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the suggestions, they are all appreciated. Is there anything that I should do to enchance or stabilze performance? How bout any sites (besides Apple and MacRumors guides) that will teach me how to navigate OSX? From watching so many videos on youtube and playing with my ex's from time to time I feel pretty comfortable but there's still much room for improvement.

I have 1 or 2 dead pixels and some light bleeding from the bottom and side but nothing too drastic. The battery seems to be acting a little funky, jumping between 3 1/2-5 hours. Geoffreak, I let it charge for about an hour and a 1/2 and started it up prolly 20 minutes after the Magsafe went green. After minimal use (opened iTunes, set up my wireless, changed some basic settings, installed iStat) for about an hour it's down to 81%. Not sure if that's normal but I'm sure it's not a problem, especially since I've yet to calibrate the battery. The clock was off by like 8 hours but I fixed that manually so no worries.

All in all I am a very happy camper and have experienced only trivial problems so far (knock on wood). I've been waiting so long to get this thing that I was worried that the satisfaction of actually having one in my hands wouldn't be able to match the prolonged level of anticipation but I must say, it's pretty damn close. This thing is effin awesome!! Can't wait to get home and really set it up.

Thanks again for the help, I'm always open to more suggestions so don't be shy.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

One suggestion - in the Energy Saver preference pane (in System Preferences), you can set the Optimisation to 'Better Performance'. (It may already be on this, when you're plugged in.)

As for essentials:
    Perian - allows you watch most video formats in QuickTime. (also try VLC)
    GraphicConverter - image conversion/editing. "a poor man's photoshop" :)
    Rivet - for streaming to a PS3/360 if you have one.
    Vuze - for Bittorrent & also for streaming to your games consoles/TV.
    Senuti - for manually copying music off your iPod/iPhone and onto your Mac.
    Snapz Pro - for taking video screenshots.

As for websites, apart from this, macosxhints.com is excellent for hints 'n' tips.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I forgot to mention iStat and Coconut Battery

14. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I'll definitely be checking some of these out when I get home. I have a question about which program I should be using to download torrents. I have Vuse on my Dell and never had any problems with it so I was leaning towards that but I hear Transmission (I think that's the name) mentioned time and time again.

The only reason I'm hestitant is that I remember reading a thread on here about how Transmission can cause system degredation. I don't believe there was a clear cut verdict reached in that thread as some had issues and others loved it. Anyone have any input?

15. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Complete and utter BS. Under that argument, all torrenting software (and all software for that matter) can cause system degradation because you are USING the machine.

Torrenting can lead to an earlier death to your hard drive because you are using it excessively. By earlier, I mean something like about 1 week earlier after 5 years of use, so nothing significant :rolleyes:

16. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

I use:
    SMC Fan controll (I use it to maintain a temp of ~40C or 73C when encoding :eek:)
    iStat Pro system (monitor app)
    Handbrake (dvd backups / compression)

You say you have dead pixels and screen bleed! :eek: I had 3 new screens untill I finally got one with 0 dead pixels but it was WELL worth it. I refuse to spend £1300 and have an imperfect machine.

17. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. You are all over these threads good sir! :) If I remember correctly, the user who posted was speaking about unusual system slowdown and/or excessive use of system resources, not just the normal system degredation that's expected with use of torrenting software. I'll see if i can find the thread but thanks for the green light, I'll be giving it a try later.

18. designed macrumors 6502

designed

You can get Vuze for Mac too, but I really suggest Transmission as it is much lighter and contains most of the usable features of Vuze.

19. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I've been reading from multiple users. I definitely want something that hogs as little recources as possible and this seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the input.

20. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Keep in mind that it will slow your computer down even though your processor is barely used. This is because the hard drive is slow, not because Transmission (or any other torrenting app) ruins your system.

21. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Due to limited write speeds of the stock drive? I'm looking to get the X25 by October so hopefully that'll take care of that problem.

22. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I wouldn't advise using a SSD to torrent to. Torrenting will drastically shorten the life.

Use a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue or any 7200RPM 320GB drive for drive speeds that can easily handle torrenting without slowing your computer down.

23. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

I was really considering this drive for awhile but have been kinda scared off by all these reports of clicking problems in the newer MBPs. Do you have any first hand experience?

24. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't get the drive CTO, install an aftermarket drive. It is cheaper and won't have the clicking issue.

25. jevel macrumors regular

Why on earth use anything but uTorrent?

uTorrent is hands down the best torrent application I´ve tried on Mac.

-KJ