"Edit had no effect" FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Penny's Geek, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Penny's Geek macrumors member

I'm busily putting together a slideshow video for a client and I keep running into this pop up when trying to insert or superimpose an image into the canvas. I've never even seen this message until yesterday. It's not letting me make any changes now. All it does it show me this message.

How do I solve this? I've googled this pop up and I only see one thread from another site about locking the tracks, which I've done. Still get the pop up window, "Edit had no effect".

HELP!

Btw, I'm using Final Cut Express 4.0 on a MacBook Pro 17" 6GB Ram, 1 TB HD

2. CaptainChunk, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This will typically happen when the video track you're trying to apply the superimpose operation to is "unpatched" on accident.

Just to the left of the little "lock" icons in the Timeline window (on the left portion of the window), look for the "v1/V1" track buttons. If these appear to be separated from each other, click one of them and they'll re-patch. Then, try your superimpose again.

I never really use the superimpose command because essentially, it's just placing material on the next track up. I just drag a clip (or image) to the track I want it on.

Locking a track (by clicking its little lock icon) does something a bit different. It will prevent the entire track from being modified - as in, you can't move anything or adjust any of its clips.

3. Penny's Geek thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply Captain Chunk.

I understood about the V1 and it was where it should be.

I've since, seemingly solved the problem anyway by merely clicking on the image where I wanted to superimpose a picture on top. Anyway, that's working again.

Now, I have an additional question. How do you keep one image on top of another when scaling one of the images? I have forgotten how its done. What I'm doing is, placing a company logo onto one of their images and I'm scaling the image, ie...the Ken Burns Effect but I want to keep the logo on top. I've tried superimposing the logo but as I scale the image, it overlays on top of the logo. Any ideas?

Thanks.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Sorry for the late reply (I've been ill all weekend).

If I'm understanding correctly, are you trying to keep the logo to stay put in the frame without the moving images overlapping it, or are you trying to keep the logo on one of the images while it scales (Ken Burns effect) in the frame?