Edit NTFS files in OSX?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by T3hPreacher, Apr 12, 2011.

1. T3hPreacher macrumors member

Hi all,

I am working on a project where I must edit an extensive amount of filenames on an NTFS drive.

I know that it is not possible to edit the filenames of files on an NTFS drive straight through OSX. Right now I am accomplishing this through Fusion. However, someone else working on it has noted that when he connects the drive to his router and then connects his Mac to the drive wirelessly (through the router), he is able to edit files. So somehow he's able to edit over the network, just not when it's plugged straight into his Mac.

Does anyone know how that worked? Can I simulate this through the VM on my machine, so that I somehow plug the disc into my VM, share it, and edit it in OSX? That would be so much easier, as Finder is easier to work in than Explorer.

Thanks for any advice!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The router has read/write access to the drive and is sharing the drive as read/write as a SMB/CIFS share which OS X can mount and edit fine.

You should be able to do the same thing with your VM.

EDIT: I don't believe this would actually work with an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule. I believe they only provide read access to NTFS.

B

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

from this support article:

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule support USB storage devices that are formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS-plus), FAT16, or FAT32.
    Formatting a storage device as Mac OS Extended with journaling is recommended, as it may provide some more resilience if the device is removed or powered down while in use.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks. 'twas an IIRC and apparently IDNRC ;)

B

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

:)

meanwhile, wouldn't installing e.g. the NTFS 3G on the Mac take care of things ?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It would be another option, and there are other read-write NTFS options like Paragon NTFS.

I'm not a fan, as they often show up in data corruption threads. Even if they may not be the ultimate culprit.

So i prefer to do what is being suggested here. Abstract the native read/write capabilities over the network.

B

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

hmm, dunno.

are you saying the macoshints article = the "apple driver hack" that was mentioned ?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. By default Apple only enables read-only access you need to force it to mount read-write this or some other way that is unsupported by Apple.

If Apple thought the feature was ready for prime time, they'd enable it themselves.

B

11. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

okay, got it.

but, looking @ the final post in the thread

it seems the 3G driver is quite stable. i'm with you on the Paragon stuff, though.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Plenty of success with NTFS-3G, however it's a third party driver mucking with my data built without access to the NTFS documentation by enthusiasts in the OSS community. There are other places where it comes up as a problem. Search the forum.

I prefer to live without it.

EDIT: example: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=719549 was NTFS-3G the principal cause? was it a factor?

B

13. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

well, as long as one's well backed up, what can go wrong ... ;)

anyhoo, the OP has plenty to digest so 'nuff said !

14. T3hPreacher thread starter macrumors member

Great! I like this solution the best. Thank you so much! Any chance you'd be able to tell me how to share this drive through XP on WMware Fusion 3 with my Mac? I haven't figured out how to share a drive through the VM.