Edit plists directly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmiller10, Nov 14, 2014.

1. dmiller10 macrumors newbie

Howdy folks,

I have 10.10 installed on my MacPro1,1. Since it is technically unsupported I presume that is causing me to have some problems in Terminal doing some basic commands.

As I'm sure a lot of users do, I always use fresh data when Apple releases new OS iterations. So I backed up my Pro, and used the SFOTT script to install Yosemite. I dragged an dropped all my data manually (again I love fresh data/installs).

Here is my problem. Whenever I do the above steps, I typically throw in some terminal commands to change certain features the user cannot change through the UI. Like unhiding the library folder, fundamentally turning off "Resume", changing screen-capturing to JPGs instead of PNGs, and removing the dock delay when the dock is hidden.

I cannot seem to get the terminal commands to work. For the sake of this thread we'll work with removing the dock delay. This it the command I use:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 0
    I have tried variations of this, specifically changing the capitals and switching "0" to "none". etc etc. Naturally, I always follow up the command with "killall Dock". I have also logged in/out of my user, and rebooted. But no matter what I do, the terminal command won't take, even though it appears to have gone through without any errors.

My question is two fold: is there something I am doing wrong to get this (and other) commands to work? If I am doing it correctly, and we are just encountering a UNIX problem because my MacPro is unsupported by this version of OS X, can I go in and directly edit the .plist file myself manually to get the changes I am looking for?

Thanks for your help!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member