Edit plists to enable 3Gs only features on 2G and 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DanielNTX, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

I just saw this post over here to enable the Battery % display by editing the M68AP.plist to turn on the built-in toggle to show battery percentage on 2g/3g phones. Anybody know of the plists to enable the Nike+ app, AVRCCP bluetooth profile and/or Video app? The bluetooth in the 3g should be capable of Nike+ and the video may not be as good on the 3g because of the older camera but it would have video as well.

2. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

they will not work. thats like trying to enable vista features on a windows 98 computer. they just dont exist on that hardware. sorry but thats the truth.

3. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

Video works on a 3g, check out Cycorder. The bluetooth connection can handle Nike+ if it can handle A2DP.

4. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

Editing the /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/M68AP.plist and adding the string "gas-gauge-battery" as true on the 2G and 3G turns on the menu Under usage for Battery Percentage.

On the 3g editing the same file and adding:
    <key>nike-ipod</key>
    <true/>
    to the same file turns on the Nike Plus menu in settings.

Copying the Nike.app from my ipod Touch 2g to the /Application on my 3G gives me the application.

I think I need to modify settings in the BluetoothManager.framework and BluetoothSettings.bundle to allow pairing.

5. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

6. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

Found this to turn on the Video Recorder App:

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

That's genius Daniel, thanks for sharing this!

I successfully altered the plist to show my battery as a percentage and to get the video camera app, however it doesn't open the shutter screen for me so I can't use it (neither for photos nor video). Does it work for you?

Cheers,

Fabian

8. DIABLOW macrumors member

there is a way to enable the toggle to turn on/off the percentage in the status bar (iPhone method)

To enable the Battery Percentage toggle in settings
    1. SSH into your iphone
    2. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/
    3. Download the file M68AP.plist
    4. Open the file using a text editor or a plist editor
    5. Add a Boolean value under the capabilities dictionary
    "<key>capabilities</key>
    <dict>" underneath this insert what is typed in #6
    6. this is a Boolean Key
    <key>gas-gauge-battery</key>
    <true/>
    7. Save and upload the file to the same directory that it was originally in
    8. Go onto the iPhone and respring
    9. Now go to the application Settings -> General -> Usage and there will be a Battery Percentage toggle and you can use it to enable battery percentage next to battery icon in top-right corner.

so basically before you save, your file should look like this

<key>capabilities</key>
    <dict>
    <true/>

good luck and dont forget to thank me

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

p/s heres a screenshot of the settings page with it enabled

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to capito08 For This Useful Post:
    anthonyko*(29-04-2009), Benutzer666*(26-04-2009), doowop*(21-06-2009), jatin_xsellize*(30-05-2009), Serch*(Yesterday)

Sorry I don't really understand what he mean. Where to get the links to do it.

9. egk69 macrumors 6502

10. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Notice, he said software. The 2MP camera can't handle the video, thus it won't allow the shutter to open.

11. DIABLOW macrumors member

12. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I wonder what cycorder uses to record video? Can't be too different from what the 3Gs uses, surely? Hopefully somebody will be able to back-port it to the 3G. :)

13. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

There's other preferences/bundles that need to be tweaked or turned on. Cycorder on the 2g and 3g definitely records video. There's more progress in this thread here: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205805

I'm starting to think Apple didn't enable certain features on the 3g, otherwise you wouldn't be compelled to upgrade to the 3gs. I think the firmware features and options were defined and restricted by Apple's marketing group. Would you buy a 3gs if you had almost the same features on the 3g?

The 3g should be capable of Nike+ (bluetooth stack), Video (not as good quality as the 3gs), Voice Control App, the battery percentage (which we know works on the 2g/3g).

14. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Cycorder uses a lower frame rate. The video camera from Apple uses 30 fps, which is pretty good as NTSC broadcasting is 29.97 fps. Cycorder uses 6-15 fps, thus allowing video to be recorded on a lower hardware device.

15. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

We're not asking for 30fps. We're asking for whatever the camera on the respective devices can do.

16. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

However, Apple's settings are written for 30 fps, which is why right now the video camera feature won't work. I was just explaining why it doesn't work right now.

17. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

Install the OpenSSH server from Cydia. Then use WinSCP or Putty.

18. reverseration macrumors newbie

may be a stupid question...but this is essentially jail-breaking...correct?

19. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. You can't make changes unless you jailbreak.

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, anything involving cydia is jail breaking.

21. reverseration macrumors newbie

any thoughts as to why the battery percentage is not a standard option in 3.0? aside from the obvious "cool...guess i'll upgrade to get that" answer?
    i was thinking maybe it has something to do with the accuracy of being suddenly enabled on a battery that has already started to lose some life (3G) as opposed to a brand new one (3G S)

22. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

It's accurate on my 2g and 3g. There was a similar hack that relied on SBSettings before. Remember, the battery icon changed based on battery level as well. I still think it has to do with marketing which is why some of the features are not available.

BTW, there is a way to do it without jailbreaking, but you would have to decrypt the IPSW and pull the files, modify them and put them back, make a new IPSW and then do a restore on your phone.

23. reverseration macrumors newbie

riiight....maybe i'll just wait to upgrade

24. DanielNTX thread starter macrumors 6502

iPod touch Battery Percentage

To enable the Battery Percentage option in the General/Usage menu, do the following:

Modify /var/Stash/Aplications.pwn/Preferences.app/General.plist in the third section that talks about "UsageController":
    Code:
                <array>
                    <string>unified-ipod</string>
                </array>

To:
    Code:
                <array>
                    <dict>
                        <key>unified-ipod</key>
                        <false/>
                    </dict>
                </array>
    Depending on your device modify either the N45AP.plist (1st generation iPod touch) or N72AP.plist (2nd generation iPod touch) in the folder /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app to add to the capabilities section:
    Code:
            <true/>
    Respring and go turn on the option. Then you have percentage next to your battery icon.

25. loleries macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks a lot for the percentage indicator trick. The Nike+ hack looks interesting as well.