Edit RAW in (or via) iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by basbr, Aug 1, 2007.

1. basbr macrumors member

What I understand from reading the forum is that iPhoto 6 supports RAW for importing (and viewing?) without changing it to JPEG. But when you edit the photo (exposure, brightness, etc.) iPhoto automatically creates a JPEG duplicate. Did I get it right?

Why then would you work with RAW? I mean, RAW files edit much better than JPEGs, so when iPhoto creates a JPEG all advantages are gone...

I read this can be solved by using another program for editing (an iPhoto 6 feauture), but then you're not able to just hit "Done" and get the edited RAW back in iPhoto.

Any chance that iPhoto 7 will be able to actually edit in the RAW format?

2. 66217 Guest

You'll be much happier if you buy Aperture.

iPhoto is quite a bad program for editing.:(

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nothing can edit RAW. Not even Aperture or Lightroom (I have Aperture). RAW is just the raw sensor data. To make any sort of usable picture from a RAW image it needs to be demosaiced and interpreted. Things like Aperture do this live and in "real-time" so adjustments made to the decode are taken straight from the RAW image. All non-decode adjustments are then made in a full floating-point space to ensure maximum data retention.