Edit Safari's UserAgents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imods, Aug 19, 2007.

1. imods macrumors newbie

I want to edit my UserAgent info on Safari 2.x. I've installed the Debug Menu via Saft and i was able to change the UserAgent from a list of predefined items, but I couldn't edit the actual info sent by the browser.

I want to do this to be able to bypass the megaupload country slots limit by adding "MEGAUPLOAD 1.0" to my UserAgent tags sent by Safari.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im not sure if thats appropriate, but you can try.

UserAgent is not the only way to detect a browser, so it may or may not work. again, you can just try.

3. imods thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks janey, but if i put my custom UserAgent text, wouldn't that replace the current one?

I know that UserAgent is nothing more than a group of tags or something that tells the webserver some info about the browser like the OS, if Java installed, ...

Now, All i want to do is to add the tag "MEGAUPLOAD 1.0" that convince megaupload that i've downloaded the megaupload toolbar which will let me bypass the country slots limit.

PS: I wanted to download the toolbar, but i couldn't cuz i'm running Mac OS X!

Thanks for your help

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

I have no idea what you're talking about...the user agent is merely a string. what tag?

5. imods thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i know string of tags. For example, "Mozilla 4.0; WIN NT; Java 1.5.0", each part between a semicolon may be called a tag (if maybe not!)

Anyway, i've figured out everything. Thanks!!!

I visited ioerror.us/ip to get my current UserAgent and modified it.

The only problem that's left is that i can't still bypass the country slots limit, though i'm sending an identical useragent as that when the toolbar is installed :(

Any idea?

Thanks again

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think i said UA isn't everything.

altho I don't quite understand your problem, but if the website is only viewable in certain country, maybe a proxy is what you need.