Edit Smart Folders in Leopard Finder Sidebar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reubs, May 8, 2008.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

There are some Smart Folders in the leopard sidebar in Finder, and I'd like to edit them, but it seems like they cannot be edited. For example, I'd like to leave out my iPhoto library in the "Image" smart folder. Is it possible to edit them, or should I just create fresh smart folders and delete the ones that are already there?

Thanks for any info.

2. kknupp macrumors member

kknupp

This is actually pretty simple to accomplish, the reason why it isn't obvious is because the edit option is hidden.

To edit Saved smart search in sidebar:

1> Open a new finder window (-N)
    2> Click on your search in the sidebar
    3> From the Action button, choose 'Show search criteria'
    4> Edit any criteria and click save
    5> The search will be updated and ready to use

Hope this helps.

3. jasonh1234 macrumors member

jasonh1234

They should make that easier to find.

It'd be nice if they added the "match all" or "match any" variables like an iTunes Smart playlist too.

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks much for this tip. I've started using Smart Folders recently, and I think Apple could do a lot to make them a lot more handy. The Smart Mailboxes and Smart Playlists are so good that I wish Smart Folders were as fully-featured.

Maybe sometime soon...

5. buldir macrumors newbie

buldir

For match all/match any simply hold down the Option key and click what used to be the "plus" sign to add additional criteria. With the Option key held, the plus sign becomes "..." allowing you to set up match criteria. Again, hidden.

6. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

And how in the hell, might I ask, are we supposed to know that? Is that somewhere and I haven't found it, or is that a trick you learned by pressing "option" and just discovering. It's helpful, and I'm sure it'll come in handy soon, but it's not a tip I've seen anywhere else. So, good job on tracking it down.

7. buldir macrumors newbie

buldir

8. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, Macworld. I don't get that, but it's certainly a helpful hint that I've already used a few times.

Thanks again!