Edit the user drive name

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Hello,

When i first installed the OS X it asked for some information and i did put my real name, but now my hard drive is set to my real name and surname in the HD with a little house icon next to it! How do i change that drive name?!

Thanks,
Yizi

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
It is really really hard to change your home folder name (the name of the house). The easiest thing to do might be to create a new user account with the name you want.

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
OMG i did what it said and i can't access my system now! I'm using the other account which is a standard 1! HELP! :(

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
I did try that as well but no it didn't let me login at all! i gave it a go with the old name didnt let me on :( how can i restore this, does mac has anything like windows crapy restore?!

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
Please someone help i have all my work in there and i have to present some posters to the client tomorrow! :(

Yizi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
UK
i would acually hate mac if i can't get my work back i worked so hard on it and now its not there, i just want to cry

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I was up till 3 fixing it! fixed! love my mac!
Glad you got out of the jam, but I just wanted to suggest that might have been a sign that it is always better to have a full backup at all times- not just when a person is messing around with System files.

If your drive had physically failed instead, you would have been in a world of hurt without a backup, so you sure should consider it- quickly! :D