Edit: Ungrateful HS Kids

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jecko024, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

How many people have noticed that there are a ton of ungrateful High School kids with iPods that are pretty oblivious when it comes to iPods and stuff. I have just boughten a "broken ipod" that "just stopped working one night" from a girl. I bought the iPod, plugged it into my charger in my car, and what d'ya know, the Alpine logo popped up (my stereo type) and charged the iPod -- works perfect. When I asked her if she had the computer cable/charger she said she didn't know where it was lol. I guess the iPod was supposed to charge its self. :D

edit: After seeing the negative responses I guess I will say that the essence of this story comes down to the fact that people who dont buy things themselves dont respect it, and there seem to be a lot of people in HS who dont respect expensive items, and by no means are all HS students this way.

2. David G. macrumors 65816

Not all of those HS students who you see who you think are spoiled really are. Example: myself. Let me explain. If you look at my sig you'll see that I have a iPod touch (cost 380 USD) and headphones (~80 USD) that are WAY nicer compared to the "average set of HS'ers headphones" I also have a 300 USD leather coat (on sale for $80, what a steal!.) Who paid for all of those things? ME. In fact, my birthday is coming up on the 24th and I expect that I will being for a large percentage of my B-Day present, a MacBook. Now I'm sure that to the students at my who don't know me very well I look like a spoiled rich kid and in reality the exact opposite is true. I guess what i'm trying to say is, please don't make blanket statements about the status of other people based on any ideas. Thank you.

Edit
    Upon further thought I remembered something I saw under 18 post your setup thread and am posting it here now. Please change the meaning slightly so it makes sense in this situation.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

regarding the example provided by the OP, i think a more appropriate word than spoiled might be 'unknowledgeable.' the girl who sold you her iPod was unaware of how to "fix" her iPod and she was unknowledgeable of the many resources available to her to find out how to "fix" the iPod (fix is in quotes because it wasn't really broken).

however, if she is banking on mommy or daddy buying her a new iPod simply because this one lost its charge and she didn't know where the cables were, that's spoiled.

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

HA! The closest thing I had to and iPod when I was in HS was a Sony Walkman tape player with those big headphones that completely covered your ear's.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you were a true gentleman, you should offer to give it back to her as it does work. that is serilously like robbing candy from a baby. you should be ashmamed for taking advantage of the situation

6. Jecko024 thread starter macrumors member

Jecko024

You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say. I myself am also a HS student with 8 ipod, 2 very nice computers, wear nice clothes the whole deal. However my parents bought none of this -- I actually have two jobs in a sense -- during the summer I do yard work (about 8 yards), and all year round I work at the local grocery store (QFC). I buy all of my "toys" myself, and look like I'm spoiled even though I am not. What I was trying to say was that there are a lot of them it seems (I know of 4 who throw away ipods like candy wrappers :eek: ) and by no means do I mean all of them (as I know there are also a lot of other HS'ers on this site who are just like me and you. Sorry if I wasn't clear on this to begin with.

7. Jecko024 thread starter macrumors member

Jecko024

How do you know I haven't and plus I did pay, just not full price......plus she doesn't have a charging cable and was banking on getting rid of this one so her parents would buy a new nano instead -- not saying that it justifies anything

8. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Ok, im in HS and if theres something i hate more than windows, it is spoiled kids, i buy all my own stuff, my parents would never ever buy me anything besides food and haircuts, if i want something I gotta find a way to get it myself. Therefore I take deep pride in my apple products, infact anything else I own as well. This is my stuff, it means everything to me because I paid for it and I don't have alot of money. I see kids with an ipod touch just because they think its cool. To me its more than cool, it defines my life style. I'm an apple fan, a fan who has a deep connection to each and everyone of my apple products.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just didnt sound like it. if so i apologize and commend you :)

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Don't assume that everyone is spoiled. For example, I'm 17. I work for a German airline and commute across the pond once a week. Over the summers, I work abroad for eight weeks. I worked hard to get this job. I had to study like none other to pass a ridiculously long testing process. Corporate bought me a macbook pro and iPhone to stay connected (I had no say in this). I bought the MacBook and won the iMac. I also started investing in the stock market at a young age (with all of my own, hard earned, cash) and I've turned impressive profits. For that, I'm getting myself a Macbook air just for the heck of it (actually, mainly because I find the size to be much better for traveling). I've already got a full ride scholarship to college so I don't need the money there.

Yes some people can be oblivious to technology. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the kid is spoiled, it just means that Apple products aren't their niche. I know that I'm certainly not the only one out there with a situation like this, too.

I agree 100%. Living in a fairly wealthy suburb, it's really hard to walk around school and just see what's happening. This is our future. If our future thinks that it's entitled to everything, there are gonna be some big surprises to them. For instance, social security...

11. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

You remind me of myself, I like the very best but It;s up to me to get it.

12. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

I can't agree with you more on the social security aspect. these kids are in for a rude awakening.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh please they are just gadgets and as such shouldnt define your life. i feel sorry if that is how you define yourself by owning apple products.

also i dont want to hear how every hs student has paid his entire way either. i have read 4 just in this thread so far out of 13 posts not including this one and two soon to be three mine as of when i was writing this.... fact is most people on these boards pay for everything themselves, unless they are young

and btw, im sure you paid for rent, energy, medical coverage too right? see probably not and i dont think most people care if you did or not.

people just need to realize life isnt fair and just need o live with it. i bet those saying they hate spoiled kids would trade places with them if they could. am i wrong? otherwise why hate them unless you are jealous....

14. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

I dont define myself with apple products, thats lame, what i meant to say was that my life is defined because I buy my own things, of course your right witht hte rent and bills, besides medical, I recently got into a skating accident and My parents make me pay for it in small sums of money at different times. I also help out with my brother and sister. I never meant to say apple defines my life, I simply was trying to convey I'm not spoiled and I don't have much money.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Nobody said that they had paid their entire way in life. I was just offended (somewhat, not extremely. I'm sure that it was unintential) that the OP just starts by almost stating that every high school student that has an iPod is spoiled (at least that's how it sounded to me).

And since I basically want to vomit whenever I see someone at school carrying around their status items (latest laptops, ipods, phones, etc), I don't think that I would want to trade. Fact is, they're in for a shock once they enter reality land. And if they keep up these attitudes of entitlement up, they're not going to be seeing what they expect to see in their hands once their parents (or wherever this stuff comes from) are gone.

16. Jecko024 thread starter macrumors member

Jecko024

Read my edit, hope it clarifies my point some -- and to be honest I am in HS and College so I am seeing both sides of "reality" everyday

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Haha, I knew what you meant. It's just that reading things like that sets me off sometimes. Just don't turn in to someone who believes that he/she is entitled to everything.

For instance, go to the iPod touch forum and see all of the people who think that they're entitled to free everything to be just like the iPhone. Don't turn into that. Oh, and give the iPod back!

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree but if they did pay for them then good for them and they can do what they want. i mean an ipod is expensive when you make 7/hr so it is well earned if they got it

oh i know what you mean by knowing people who are spoiled. i have a friend who got a mustang cobra r (close to $30k) for free from parents and complains to me when he goes to europe as opposed to mexico. ive been there and i hate hearing stuff like that for sure

same guy is also inheriting a family buisness. thank god for nepotism right? lol

but he is still a good friend and im not gonna hold his good fortune against him either

all you have control over is your attitude towards life

19. Jecko024 thread starter macrumors member

Jecko024

I kinda want to steal that quote :D very well put!

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's sort of like the person who sat next to me last year that complained about how they had to fly business class to Paris as opposed to First Class... And when you work for an airline and see teenagers in first class, it just leaves your mind full of questions.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha go for it

22. Jecko024 thread starter macrumors member

Jecko024

23. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

That isn't "spoiled"

For all you know, it was stolen. You might come out thinking you're the smart one when you just picked up a hot ipod from a girl who played dumb. You just never know.

"Spoiled" is a child who EXPECTS or feels entitled to the next thing. You could be given everything in your wildest dreams, and as long as you remain thankful for everything you are given, I wouldn't consider you spoiled. If you have to brag about your 8 iPods, then chances are; something went wrong in your life. How do you get to your job at QFC? If you get there driving in your parents car, or sleep after work on a bed paid for by your parents, you aren't independent - you are just working for your things. Stay greatful and stay humble. I wish those were words I could follow but if someone can, then the world might be better.

24. Jecko024 thread starter macrumors member

Jecko024

I wasn't bragging I was making a point to try and clarify what I meant as many people were taking what the purpose of this thread was and making it sound like im the bad guy when really I just thought I would use this case as an example that there are people (espcially in HS) that dont take for granted the things they have and just expect new things from their parents. I myself am not one and work for everything I have except for a roof over my head and food on the table, which is similar to many of the HS kids on this forum.

25. rl. macrumors newbie

Oh common. Seriously, how far can we take this. I suppose that if someone sells me stock and the price goes up, I should offer to give it back to them? If not, would that also be considered taking advantage of them? It's not the OP fault that the girl had no idea how to use her iPod.