edit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobdobalina, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bobdobalina, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. bobdobalina, Sep 28, 2011

bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. calmeby macrumors newbie

Got the same problem

Also received an obviously used "brand new" battery from ifixit today. I'm currently expecting a reply on my quite harsh email to them demanding an explanation for this.

5. tears2040 macrumors 6502

#1 Problem is buying a battery from a 3rd party.

You spend a $1k+ on a computer and then put a bootleg battery in there?

Basically spend the money and buy a battery directly from apple.

6. echosky81 macrumors newbie

To be honest you should buy it directly from Apple and see if you can return the use iFixit battery.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would never trust a battery that didn't come from Apple. Too many have reported problems with 3rd party batteries.

8. nicfargo macrumors member

Have fun when your battery explodes! Seriously though...it could happen.

9. jwhazel macrumors regular

It's scratched
    Likely because it's been refurbished. It's a genuine apple battery, you can tell by the serial # on it (3rd party batteries don't have this). But I doubt its a new battery, just new cells on the inside and clearing the micro controllers nvram (which is mostly all that really matters).

Never trust a battery that doesn't come from Apple
    As an ACMT who's seen hundreds of third party batteries, I whole heartedly agree with this.

Buy a battery from apple
    I'm not aware they allow this on the internal batteries due to the exposed cells and the liability of people setting themselves on fire. If they do, news to me. You can send it to them and pay to have it replaced. But I'm not aware of anyway they will legitimately send you one to replace on your own. And no, ifixit is definitely not buying straight from Apple.

Have fun when your battery explodes
    You have a better chance of holding a winning lottery ticket while being struck by lightning. I've seen hundreds of Apple (oem and 3rd party) batteries expand. I've never seen one "explode" that didn't involve surge or massive physical damage.

10. MallCop macrumors 6502

iFixit is a well-known third party though so I don't see a problem with buying from them.

11. bobdobalina, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

Not a 3rd party battery.

I think a few people are missing the point here. ifixit are saying the batteries are new, and genuine Apple product. Buying a new product from a 3rd party is not the same as buying a 3rd party product.

This was likely a refurbished battery with obvious signs of rough handling being sold as a quote-unquote NEW and genuine Apple product. There's an ungenerous term for that that begins with F.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So, two years later, how's the battery working for you? Did you send it back? Did you manage to fix the problem with it dying suddenly at 10%?

13. bobdobalina, Jun 13, 2013