edit

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bobdobalina, Aug 6, 2015.

1. bobdobalina, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Might as well pack a lunch as you will be waiting awhile.

3. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

I don't think it's totally out of the question that something like this could come along, but it's pretty hard to make any reliable guesses. One thing worth thinking about is that Apple did come out saying that the rMB is their vision of the notebook of the future, or at least part of it. So if the rMB in its current form is a hit, it could become evident to them to expand it to a category, like the Pro - after all the Air was originally offered in one size and then got expanded to more than one offering. There's definitely a strong case for a size choice in the "Pro" range and a size choice in the "ultraportable" range - the Pro and the Air have been exactly that up till now. Just remains to be seen whether that's where they decide to go with the rMB moving forward.

4. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I would buy a 14" machine right away. I'm kind of expecting this - if the new MacBook is the future then how can there be only one model with no variants? iBook sizes used to be 12 and 14. Then they moved to 11 and 13 as people wanted smaller. Now people are wanting bigger screens again. Everything comes full circle.

14" a little more power and two USB ports and it would be my new main computer

5. bobdobalina, Aug 7, 2015

bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502

6. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

Yeah it could possibly head that way. I think if you keep in mind that companies like Apple are looking ahead at what's coming down the pipeline in terms of next gen CPUs etc.. they might indeed be foreseeing that a couple of generations down the track the core M (or whatever it morphs into) is going to functionally cover the same ground as what they were aiming for with the Air. So the entire notebook line could be more decisively split into two ranges using the most suitable processor type - extreme low power consumption for ultralights, and the best mobile performance processors available for the "Pro" range.

I think it's also possible that the Air could persist for quite a while too. If they've decided it has hit the end of its development run (i.e., no major redesign in the works, no retina display etc), then they might do what they did with the original plastic MacBook when it phased out. Give them a very significant price-cut so as to make them even more compelling entry level models, they'd basically become Apple's netbook or low cost "education" offering. From there, they might continue to give the Air cursory updates, increasing the RAM and storage as-shipped so as to stay current and possibly keeping the CPU up to date, ish. And then see how long it continues to sell for.

Of course it's entirely possible that this isn't at all what's on the playbook, a revamped Air range with retina could make an appearance after all.. although such a machine might sit a bit uncomfortably in between its two sibling ranges. I guess we'll see huh?

7. bobdobalina, Aug 7, 2015

bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502