Editable site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gonnabuyamac, May 6, 2009.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

I use Dreamweaver CS4, and have some clients who would like sections of their sites to be editable for them. My question is, do I have to go with a full-blown CMS for that, or are there other options for doing something like a News section that they can easily log in and update?

I know that CS4 has InContext editing from Adobe, but they're planning to charge $10-20 a month for that service and limit it to 5 sites. Adobe doesn't need any more money than they already get from me.

Thanks!

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I've recommended it in the past and will do again :) CMS from Scratch is a great option if you don't need the functionality of larger platforms.

It's simple and effective, allowing you to specify the areas you want clients to be able to edit.

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

As much as I hate to suggest it, would Adobe Contribute be a good solution here?

4. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know much about Adobe Contribute. Would a client have to have it too to be able to update the site?

5. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks... I'll have to look into this.

6. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like I have to have each client purchase their own copy of Contribute to edit the site I create for them. That's a major hassle. Why does Adobe insist on making things so freakin' expensive!?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Misread the title as "Edible site." I must be hungry.

Carry on... :eek:

8. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

9. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Cushy looks pretty cool - very close to what I need. I have used Adobe's InContext editor, which has repeating regions... like if i have a div for news items, the client can add new divs very easily. Can Cushy do anything like that?