edited photos in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spiritwerk, Jan 2, 2010.

1. spiritwerk macrumors newbie

I edited some photos that I imported into iPhoto. I used Adobe Elements to do the editing. The photos were saved with a new name to the same location where the photos are located. The newly edited photos do not show up in iPhoto and I can't seem to find them to email them. How can I get them to show up in iPhoto?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

When using an external editor such as Photoshop Elements, typically you should be saving your edited files outside of the iPhoto Library, say on Desktop, for example. The iPhoto application does not read any library changes that aren't administered by itself. To retrieve the edited images, you'll have to access the contents of the iPhoto Library via Finder. Inside ~/Pictures is an iPhoto library, which you have to secondary click in order to get the Show Package Contents option. Normally iPhoto-edited images would be in the Modified folder, but saving them through Photoshop probably wrote them into the Originals folder. Be extremely careful digging through here because renaming/moving any of the files in here could require rebuilding your entire library database.

3. spiritwerk thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be dangerous for me to just move or delete the edited files out of this folder? I can re-edit the originals and save them to a new location, but I hate to have files just hanging around that aren't serving a useful purpose.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Simplest idea would be to go to iPhoto preferences and set PhotoShop, Elements, etc. as your external editor. Then, whenever you edit a photo, it will be saved right back into iPhoto where it belongs and will be available there.