editing 24p in Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by raya, Sep 30, 2007.

1. raya macrumors newbie

thank you to all you who read and answer these questions, Im amazed at how wonderfully this system works.

I am setting up to edit a video project in Final Cut. Some of the footage is 24p and some is 29.97. I imagine the output will be 29.97

My first problem is that Im not sure if the material is 24p Normal or Advanced. If I understand correctly, 24P normal would mean that I can capture and edit the material just as I would with other material, whereas 24p Advanced requires that I capture with a pulldown removal preset and edit in a 23.98 timeline.

Is there any way of testing my footage to find out if it is 24p advanced or normal? (it was shot on a DVX 100a if that helps) Can I edit this material in the same timeline as my 29.97 footage?

My instinct tells me to capture the footage normally, assuming that the camera has already applied the pulldown and edit it in a 29.97 timeline, but Im just worried about capturing all my footage and then having to start over, Id love to have it clear before I start the project.

Thank you so so much for any help:p

2. zanlyons macrumors newbie

If you want to mix framerates on the same timeline, you need to be using final cut 6.
    As far as pulldown removal goes, you should ask Graeme Nattress about this. You can find his contact details at Nattress.com

Hope this helps.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Raya,

If you can't find out what you need here check out the FCP section over atdvxuser.com.

Lethal

4. BigJimSlade macrumors member

I honestly think Graeme will be a little too busy tweaking the RED camera software to answer basic questions about pulldown issues. As Lethal said, dvxuser.com is your friend.