Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´ve been shooting 4K or 5K for the last 3,5 years. Latest project was a documenatary series about 5 different people, top 5-10 in the world in their sport. (Wingsuit base jumping, FMX, Snowbard and skiing) It was shot mostly in 4K, a few HD cameras were used every now and then.
Our primary camera for the action was our RED EPIC, it shoots RED RAW .R3D is the file name. It´s compressed, but depending on your setting it´s virtually lossless on the lower settings 5:1 Compression.
The amount of Footage in GB was daunting (our second camera was a Canon 1DC, then smaller Sony 4K cameras), I think we ended up on around 25TB.

We edited in Premiere on PC´s because my partner is a PC guy, no proxies, we just used the 1/4 setting in Premierer.
In FCX you can´t specify the resolution, you can just choose for better playback, but it helps a lot for performance.

You need serious RAIDs to store the footage and od course back up. We had each program backed up to a Single 4TB drive + keeping it on a big RAID for editing + one more disk where the footage was originally batched when shot.

The data amount is manageable, but it´s a bit of a pain. Latest Premiere trouble was today, when we wanted to make archive backups of each episode and the Project Manager dosen´t manage to make a back up. No idea how we are getting all this footage onto one disk now, as footage (as always) came in late, on new disks ( no room on the RAID).

Bottom line, get organised from the start, and more importantly STAY organised. We didn't manage to stay organised to the bitter end, but close.

I think you will be happy with a MP instead of an iMac. The machine will be churning a lot. Rendering takes time when you go from 4K to 1080.

But. I will never shoot anything less than 4K for my personal projects anymore.
Looking back at all the stock shots we have from great locations from earlier work and trying to cut that EX-3 footage into the 4K stuff, the difference is night and day.
(Not saying you can´t shoot great 2K, the Alexa is a proof of that, but it´s too expensive to own for me)

Good luck with the project

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
I´ve been shooting 4K or 5K for the last 3,5 years. Latest project was a documenatary series about 5 different people, top 5-10 in the world in their sport. (Wingsuit base jumping, FMX, Snowbard and skiing) It was shot mostly in 4K, a few HD cameras were used every now and then.
Our primary camera for the action was our RED EPIC, it shoots RED RAW .R3D is the file name. It´s compressed, but depending on your setting it´s virtually lossless on the lower settings 5:1 Compression.
The amount of Footage in GB was daunting (our second camera was a Canon 1DC, then smaller Sony 4K cameras), I think we ended up on around 25TB.

We edited in Premiere on PC´s because my partner is a PC guy, no proxies, we just used the 1/4 setting in Premierer.
In FCX you can´t specify the resolution, you can just choose for better playback, but it helps a lot for performance.

You need serious RAIDs to store the footage and od course back up. We had each program backed up to a Single 4TB drive + keeping it on a big RAID for editing + one more disk where the footage was originally batched when shot.

The data amount is manageable, but it´s a bit of a pain. Latest Premiere trouble was today, when we wanted to make archive backups of each episode and the Project Manager dosen´t manage to make a back up. No idea how we are getting all this footage onto one disk now, as footage (as always) came in late, on new disks ( no room on the RAID).

Bottom line, get organised from the start, and more importantly STAY organised. We didn't manage to stay organised to the bitter end, but close.

I think you will be happy with a MP instead of an iMac. The machine will be churning a lot. Rendering takes time when you go from 4K to 1080.

But. I will never shoot anything less than 4K for my personal projects anymore.
Looking back at all the stock shots we have from great locations from earlier work and trying to cut that EX-3 footage into the 4K stuff, the difference is night and day.
(Not saying you can´t shoot great 2K, the Alexa is a proof of that, but it´s too expensive to own for me)

Good luck with the project

C100, 300 shoot excellent 1080p from a 4k sensor.

So does Sony A7s and even Blackmagic Pocket camera.

Also Blackmagic 2.5k camera unlike RED can truly record a RAW uncompressed file. Blackmagic also has URSA (Huge Camera) but truly amazing as well.

If I were doing a shoot any of these camera will be great. Heck even a GH4 shooting UHD into Atomos Ninja (soon to be released) will be insane. People get caught up with resolutions when none of this stuff really matters.

As an earlier post stated I would have the BEST DP I could afford in charge of my visuals. Now if you say you are doing a Documentary I don't think there is a better camera than a Canon C300.......

Thinking against though I would shoot it on the new Sony FS7 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...d=CKz08aXJvMICFRNp7Aod0DEAgQ&is=REG&A=details and have an A7s as a B camera / low light monster
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044728-REG/sony_ilce7s_b_alpha_a7s_mirrorless_digital.html

Both shoot 4k footage to external recorders

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway

Also Blackmagic 2.5k camera unlike RED can truly record a RAW uncompressed file. Blackmagic also has URSA (Huge Camera) but truly amazing as well.

If I were doing a shoot any of these camera will be great. Heck even a GH4 shooting UHD into Atomos Ninja (soon to be released) will be insane. People get caught up with resolutions when none of this stuff really matters.

As an earlier post stated I would have the BEST DP I could afford in charge of my visuals. Now if you say you are doing a Documentary I don't think there is a better camera than a Canon C300.......

Thinking against though I would shoot it on the new Sony FS7 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...d=CKz08aXJvMICFRNp7Aod0DEAgQ&is=REG&A=details and have an A7s as a B camera / low light monster
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044728-REG/sony_ilce7s_b_alpha_a7s_mirrorless_digital.html

The FS7 shots 4k or UHD for now internally, not raw though.
I have one on order, and I agree that it would be a perfect docu cam. The reason I bought it.
The C300 I think is the opposite of a good docu cam. I hate the ergonomics of that camera. It can produce good images, lacking in DR and nothing close to RED imho though.
True RAW is mostly a pain due to the file size. The best part of the RED system is their .R3D files.

Btw I do own a C300 as well and have shot a children tv series over the last few months so I know what it's cable of or not.
I recorded to an Atomos Samurai to improve it a bit, so it's possible to grade it properly

The Atomos Ninja is hd the Shogun is 4K

ScottJared33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2014

I would sell my FS700 if the FS7 is am upgrade picture wise, etc. when is it projected to come out?

----------

The FS7 shots 4k or UHD for now internally, not raw though.
I have one on order, and I agree that it would be a perfect docu cam. The reason I bought it.
The C300 I think is the opposite of a good docu cam. I hate the ergonomics of that camera. It can produce good images, lacking in DR and nothing close to RED imho though.
True RAW is mostly a pain due to the file size. The best part of the RED system is their .R3D files.

Btw I do own a C300 as well and have shot a children tv series over the last few months so I know what it's cable of or not.
I recorded to an Atomos Samurai to improve it a bit, so it's possible to grade it properly

The Atomos Ninja is hd the Shogun is 4K

So BM is better 4k wise than FS700 you think?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
FS7 jus came out. The first batch has been in the hands of people a month or so. Mine should arrive this month

----------

Never used the BM, but I think the FS7 is better suited for a docu. Depends on subject of course

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
The FS7 records 4K compressed internally and with an extension box that takes v-lock batteries as well you get the possibility to record 4K raw to an Oddysey or Shogun

ScottJared33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2014
The FS7 records 4K compressed internally and with an extension box that takes v-lock batteries as well you get the possibility to record 4K raw to an Oddysey or Shogun

I saw clips online and thought that it was less superior then the FS 700 to be honest. Sharpness and the quality of the videos that I saw weren't that great. Maybe it's a compression issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.