Editing 60fps ?!?!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bluap84, Feb 18, 2011.

1. bluap84, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

bluap84 macrumors 6502

Guys

im off snowboarding next weekend, getting a GOPro before im out there, i have used a friends once. Awesome bit of kit, but finding something which edits 60fps footage is a nightmare, im using Adobe Premiere CS5. Surely that will edit 60fps?

If not any suggestions on what will or how i can do it in Premiere

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

What's confusing you? It should be as simple as changing your project settings to 60fps. Your sequence will then list 60 frames in a second, and it will work just like editing 30p material.

Keep in mind also that the GoPro shoots in a format that's not too editing friendly. You're going to want to decompress your footage to something like apple prores.

3. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

So the problem is that the GoPro footage doesn't really fall into one of those supported presets. You could try the AVC Intra Codec, 720p60, which would be closest, but that may not work. You're ideally going to want to transcode your footage to something more manageable. Since it doesn't look like you have the prores codec, transcode to P2 DVCPRO50 720 60Hz. You'll do that using Adobe Media Encoder. Throw all your GoPro footage into that program and have it spit it out again in the different format. It will take some time and eat up a bunch of HD space, but it will save you tearing your hair out in the editing process.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

That would be 720p DVCProHD... DVCPro50 would be Standard Def

7. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Whoops, yea my bad. :D

8. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the info guys.
    looks like a ram upgrade and firewire external drive may be in order with all this encoding. haha

9. Kevworld macrumors newbie

There is another way...

Hey there, When using Adobe Premier there is another much more flexible way to match your footage to a codec, and that is selecting DESKTOP option and then a customised Quicktime codec. This way you can select the exact frame size and fps - and if you don't have Final Cut (my assumption due to you using Premier), I would suggest using the Apple Intermediate Codec for your edit. This is native to the Mac and much faster, and in my opinion, comparable quality to all the other codecs that come free or are not Pro versions.
    If you don't want to use Media Encoder then the free MPEGStream works just as well, in some cases faster.
    I can vouch for cinema quality footage* being obtained by editing in this codec and then doing a final colour grade render in ProRes422 - have a look at the blog on my website for more information if you're interested.

10. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Or you could just edit at 30FPS and then the video would be in slow motion. That's the point of the 60

11. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

I never realised it was so hard :confused: with my 550d I just convert the 60fps in mpeg streamclip to apple pro res 422 and then edit it in a timeline. Most of the time I conform it to 30fps but it works all the same!