editing a photograph

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kortcoll, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kortcoll macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and I've been looking around learning a lot..so thanks! But it got me thinking that maybe one of you guys could help me out with thispicture. I took it while on vacation and was so disappointed with how it came out. I don't know if it's even possible to save but if anyone could do anything to make it lighter or clearer..please help :) I would greatly appreciate it, my editing skills are horrible. Thanks again!

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Well, it's obviously over-exposed and blown out. Try decreasing the exposure in Aperture, iPhoto, LightRoom or whatever you are using. However, with the strong light background, the people in the foreground are probably going to remain as silhouettes and you may not see their faces well. Next time when faced with this situation you need to meter off of their faces in manual mode before taking the shot or if you have a flash, use it to highlight them. FWIW.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I admire your optimism... but it's a goner...

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I agree with Doylem: Your picture is really, really bad. Was this taken with a disposable film camera?

If you can't see details in the faces over the noise, then there's nothing you can do with this picture. The noise (film grain?) in the picture is much stronger than any perceivable details on the faces.

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Doylem paraphrased my response quite nicely. :D

6. kortcoll thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I will have to give up on it (sigh) but seriously thanks for the help :)

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I'd cut out the silhouette of the people and use it in a collage of other pics of the same trip.