Editing an Excel 2008 file in Excel 2004 on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Coryellas, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Coryellas macrumors newbie

I've been trying to work with an excel file that was made on a PC in Excel 2008 and emailed to me. I have Office 2004 for mac and am working on a Macbook with Leopard. I can hardly scroll around on the document without sending my macbook into overdrive and the program will often just freeze or close. The file is in xls format. What can I do to be able to work on this file on my macbook more smoothly? Update I can get or setting i can change?

also. . . I had saved the file in microsoft 2003 format . . . but my mac still struggles with it.

2. ant-macyourself macrumors member

Is it a fairly large file? Since you're running Office 2004, I would think that Rosetta is what's causing the bad slowdowns you're experiencing. Unfortunately, an app that's not a Universal Binary (like Office 2004) can bring even a speedy machine like a Macbook to a crawl.

Maybe you could download a trial of iWork '08 and see if your XLS file will open in Numbers?

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Also (unsure how much customization you have) but I think (could be wrong) google docs has a spreadsheet editor online that edits files.

Neo Office can also assist here as well.

4. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock