Editing and saving a .vob

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Slogan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Slogan macrumors member

Hello,

Having a bit of trouble trying to cut two .vob files. I have two .vob files and I want to take a portion that amounts to one and a half, obviously removing the second half of the second .vob file.

I had a look around on how to do this and found MPEG Streamclip which claimed to do the business but as soon as I edit the files that I bring into it, it only allows me to save in MPEG or export to a range of other formats which are of no use. If I don't edit the files I bring in, it allows me to save them as one .vob.

So, is there any way to cut up a .vob (said that too much in this thread) and join it (got D-Vision 3 for this) without encoding it into some other format?

The .vob files play really nicely with the PS3 and at a high quality but I don't want to be clicking on one to watch one and a half shows.

Thanks for any help.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

.vob is a container file format for the DVD standard.

Cutting and editing it is cutting and editing the MPEG2 video stream contained within.

As far as I can imagine, youd have to cut the .vob, save it as what it is (MPEG2) and then reauthor a DVD to get a .vob out of it?

Maybe Im wrong, but .vob is directly tied in certain ways to a specific DVD, to change it is to literally change it into something else.

3. Slogan thread starter macrumors member

It seems you're on the right track. :)

I had the brainwave of ripping in main feature mode which means I can select out the vobs that I want essentially and it surprisingly works well.

However, on the PS3, the main feature .vobs don't work as icons yet the full disc .vobs work fine as icons - seems I can't win entirely!