Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Columbus, OH (USA)
Hi all!
First the basic question...
How can I edit a piece of a audio from an iMovie clip and use it in place of another audio bit in a different iMovie clip?

If that makes no sense, here's the situation...

I filmed 2 different dress rehersals of a musical my daughter was in. In one she looked great, but bungled the last note of her song. In the other, she nailed the last note. So, what I wanted to do was cut out the bit of audio where she nailed the note and use it in place of the flat note from the first clip.

Can I do this with either Final Cut Express, iMovie, or Quicktime or do I need yet another piece of software?

Many thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Hoven said:
Hi all!
How can I edit a piece of a audio from an iMovie clip and use it in place of another audio bit in a different iMovie clip?

I filmed 2 different dress rehersals of a musical my daughter was in. In one she looked great, but bungled the last note of her song. In the other, she nailed the last note. So, what I wanted to do was cut out the bit of audio where she nailed the note and use it in place of the flat note from the first clip.

Can I do this with either Final Cut Express, iMovie, or Quicktime or do I need yet another piece of software?

You can do that in FCE, not sure about iMovie though.

Import the clip with the duff note into FCE, and set up your edit. Run the good clip in Quicktime and use the "Export" function to create an AIFF file. Make sure you use 48Khz and 16 bits.

Import the new audio clip into the FCE project.

Put the new audio into the timeline and edit it to the note you want. Edit the original track to remove the old note. Position the new audio correctly, and apply fades to the volumes of each track to stop any clicking.

Export clip.

You'll probably need to unlock the audio from the video in the original clip to edit the audio track by itself.

Hope this helps.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Hopefully, iMovie in the future will provide this feature but if you have the $30 dollar Quicktime Pro, then do this:

In the iMovie movie project use Quicktime Pro to open your Movie. Move the slider to the part that you want to extract the audio and edit out all the rest of the movie. Don't save it but export that out as AIFF. You can now import that audio clip into your current or other iMovie project.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Hoven said:
Hi all!

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can do it in iMovie. Click on the video track and find "Extract Audio Track" in the menu. Do this for both, combine the audio tracks, and edit them in timeline to fit. All set!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
titaniumducky said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can do it in iMovie. Click on the video track and find "Extract Audio Track" in the menu. Do this for both, combine the audio tracks, and edit them in timeline to fit. All set!

Yes you can, but it's easier to get a good match in FCP or E, I assumed Hoven's got FCE as he mentioned it, it's an easier job in Final Cut than in iMovie.

I'm pretty sure you can't do custom audio crossfades in iMovie.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
WinterMute said:
I'm pretty sure you can't do custom audio crossfades in iMovie.

You can control different audio volumes... but you can do it far easier in FCE. Not that hard, either, someone else told you how. Just import the good clip and the last bit of the good audio clip and cut out the audio that you wanted and move it. Make sure to get rid of the old audio. ;)

Hoven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Columbus, OH (USA)
BornAgainMac said:
Hopefully, iMovie in the future will provide this feature but if you have the $30 dollar Quicktime Pro, then do this:

In the iMovie movie project use Quicktime Pro to open your Movie. Move the slider to the part that you want to extract the audio and edit out all the rest of the movie. Don't save it but export that out as AIFF. You can now import that audio clip into your current or other iMovie project.

Well, I managed to do it, thanks to everyone.
I have FCE, but I'm not too proficient at it. So... I ponied up the $30 for Quicktime Pro. I couldn't figure out how to send a clip from iMovie to Quicktime. Can that be done?
At any rate, I found the clip with the 'good' note and cut out that section and saved the audio part. Then I imported it into iMove. From there, I lined it up (as best I could... this is where FCE would come in very handy, I think). Then I simply turned down the volume on the main clip and turned up the volume on the overlay audio. Not too bad.

I think for grins, I'll try to repeat the process in FCE just so I can see how it goes. But that begs the question, can I save a FCE movie clip and import it or open it in iMovie?

Thanks again all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.