editing audio level imovie 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trainguy77, Jun 1, 2009.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am trying to have a song playing in the background of a movie I am creating. It needs to change volume part way through. Its my understanding this has been removed in imovie 09. How would I go about doing this? Is there any work arounds?

2. hellrider macrumors regular

I don't think you can split audio clips in iMovie, so here are two options:

Simply add the song twice to the timeline, and try to make it seamless. OR. Export directly from iMovie into Garageband and let Garageband handle the soundtrack. I have successfully done this with films involving lightsaber sound effects, music, and voiceover simultaneously.

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

So I should just open the audio in garage band then edit it and import it into imovie? OR do you mean there is a better way to open it up in garageband from within imovie or something.

4. hellrider macrumors regular

In iMovie '09, under the Share menu, there should be an option to export to Garageband.

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

This is not an option for me. Its not even grayed out...

6. arutkows macrumors newbie

Well, I am in the same boat. I have a music track and a few voice overs so I need to lower the audio in the music track when the voice over cuts in, and raise the audio when the voice over finish. I've been using Pinnacle Studio but have recently converted to Mac OS X and now using iMovie09. It's a shame that you cannot split the audio track, or that iMovie does not allow you to make changes to the wave format in the track.. The only work around I found was to note at what section (timewise in the music track) the audio needs lowering/raising and then use a wave editor (eg wavepad) to vary the audio volume. Then save the music track under a different name (so as not to change the original) and use that in the iMovie project. Works, but only when done as the last step before publishing the movie since the changes are sort of 'locked in'. Let me know if you find any easier way of doing this.

7. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

For what your trying to do you should be able to use ducking in the audio features.