Editing audio

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jwolf6589, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

My Camcorder was out of batteries saturday and so had to rely on the Canon digital camera. As a result a great hiss of background noise has reduced the amplification in my voice. Is there anyway to reduce the noise and amplify just my voice? Perhaps this is a question for those in audio boards. I have Audacity but its freeware and seems to lack a great number of features that the hold Sound Edit app had back in the O 7.x days when I used it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

John

http://www.cerm.info/sermons/video/charlotte_2011.mp4

2. FroColin macrumors regular

Audacity has a massive amount of features. They are just hidden and hard to use. I doubt that there is much you can do. You can do some noise reduction and get rid of some of the frequencies that your not speaking at but... really there isn't much unfortunately. However as for your comment about audacity I can't think of anything that any other program can do that it can't (I mean any other program that has a similar function haha) Soundbooth has a spectrum analysis tool and you can actually remove parts but aside from that.... Audacity is a very powerful program.

3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Are you a audio professional? I have spoke with those that are and they have told me their views on audacity.

4. FroColin macrumors regular

So now we are to have an argument where you recite what someone told you and I keep saying what I just said? I can see how that will be productive. I'm sorry you take your disliking of audacity so personally. As for if I'm an audio professional, define professional if your so determined to argue your points (A word of advice, if you need to argue every point, don't ask questions on a forum). Do I make money doing things with audio? Yes. Do I have a degree in it? No. I am not saying I know everything, but from my experience Audacity is a very powerful program. I know you want a quick answer "Oh just run it though this program and all will be well" but that's not how these things work. You having spoken to audio professional does not make you better then everyone else. I have spoken to the governor of my state, that doesn't mean that I have a better knowledge of politics then you. If you want to know why I think that Audacity is good then ask! I'll tell you. But don't whine about how you know people who think I'm wrong. I don't know what you thought you would get out of this unless you were just trying to be mean.

5. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Why not just head off here to learn how Audacity may help you.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

howdy. just thought i'd drop in and tell you that's no way to treat someone who's trying to help you. do unto others and all that. i think you owe someone an apology.

7. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Its a fine program for novices. No one ever said I did not like Audacity.

8. Leddy macrumors regular

If you're looking at improving the quality of the audio from the footage in the link you supplied below your posting, I'd say you won't have a great deal of joy.

You can roll off some of the high frequency hiss, using EQ settings or a low pass filter which may improve things a little, but you will not be able to improve the general ambience of your recording due to the distance between you and the microphone on the camera.

At times you are speaking directly away from the microphone which is not ideal.

I'd use the experience to plan better for next time - ie. batteries/ wireless lapel/ camera mounted shotgun mic etc.

Cheers.

9. deej999 macrumors regular

Leaving Audacity to one side for a minute then. Do you have Logic Studio? Soundtrack Pro has a noise reduction feature which is ok.

Better is IZotope RX. Download the demo and use it on your audio. It and the Waves one are the best sound repair apps I come across.

http://izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

10. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Yeah the camcorder is much better for recording video/audio than my digital camera.