Editing AVCHD Footage with OS X10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pegasus2, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Pegasus2 macrumors newbie

Just bought my first Apple Mac (iMac19") - Thinking of getting a new HD Camcorder (Panasonic HS900). Have heard that OSX10 is not compatible with HD Footage. Can I expect an update to OS X10 that will remedy this in the near future ?

2. simsaladimbamba

What is a "iMac19"? Do you mean the 21.5" iMac?
    To identify the Mac OS X version and Mac model you have:

And Mac OS X (X is the Roman numerical for "10") is compatible with HD footage, depending on the editing application you choose. As every Mac comes with iMovie, you are able to edit HD footage with a Mac, but as AVCHD is not an editing codec, the footage will get "converted" (transcoded) to an editing friendly format, which will result in bigger files, thus an external HDD is recommended.

Maybe have a look at any of the dozens of dozens of tutorials and guides about AVCHD editing on Mac OS X?

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I don't know where you heard that Macs aren't compatible with HD footage, that is pure bunk. They called it "iMovie HD" and "Final Cut Pro HD" for a reason when they introduced HD compatibility many, many years ago.

However, none of Apple's video editors (iMovie, FCE, FCP, FCPX) will edit AVCHD directly, it must be converted to a different format first. iMovie will automatically do this for you, it will convert to Apple Intermediate Codec which is better anyway. AVCHD is highly compressed and therefore it takes a lot of computational horsepower to edit it directly. AIC is far less compressed, which takes up more space but is much easier to edit with.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Ah, maybe not quite so simple. Newer Sony and Panasonic camcorders are doing AVCHD all right, and it can be imported into iMovie via Apple's AIC.

What is missing is that iMovie doesn't do the 1080/60p that these puppies can now without substantial massaging; 60 fps just isn't there yet. Not to mention making Blu-ray disks. But with Handbrake, Toast (with the Blu-ray plugin) and some effort it can work. Or ClipWrap or VoltaicHD or Rewrap2m4v; see:

http://ianperegian.com/My_FZ35_38_Webpage/Edit_1080_50p_and_burn_a_disk.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2380085?threadID=2380085&ts%20tart=0

This tutorial is for 50p but I assume it'd work with 60p. I wanted to import the 60p and then force iMovie to treat it as 30fps, which would give me really nifty slo mo. Anyone aware of a handy way to do that?

You might also consider shooting at less than the max 60p as well.