Editing AVCHD Footage with OS X10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pegasus2, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Pegasus2 macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased my first Apple mac. an imac with OS X 10.7 Lion installed - which includes iMovie11. I am considering purchasing a Panasonic HDC HS900 which handles AVCHD to a resolution of 1080/60p. I have read several posts on various Forums that indicate problems with this resolution being accepted by the OSX10.7 operating program. Although some very loyal Mac users took exception to any criticism whatsoever, and denied any incompatibility. Grateful for an unbiased statement regarding OSX10.7 and 1080/60p editing, before I commit to a purchase.

2. TennisandMusic

I've tested the footage from this camera with the Adobe video editing software. You can download raw clips on the internet and try both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro. They should both take the footage natively. You can play raw files with software like VLC and Movist. Forget using any of the Apple stuff for this kind of footage.

AVCHD has been a constant source of pain on OSX. Windows handles it much better (flawlessly really, and on cheap editors) but I choose to use OSX so...just gotta deal with the head aches. Adobe has made it a little nicer at least.

Grab some raw footage and try out the demos yourself before you buy the camera.

3. Pegasus2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Editing AVCHD Footage with OS X10

My thanks to Tennis and Music for a prompt reply to my post. You have realised my worst fears - I was hoping, after finally changing to a Mac PC (and software), that I would not have to use Windows based programs. I'll keep my fingers crossed and just hope for an upgrade to Version OS X10 and iMovie11. Surely Apple must address the shortcoming of it's Video Editing Programs - HD is here to stay.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Good advice however I want to point out that AVCHD 3840x2160 and 1920x1080 from Canon works natively in both iMovie and FCP X

5. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

This.

You'll find way more support for video editing in OS X than the average Windows user could dream of.

I understand the disappointment in not being able to handle AVCHD 1080p/60 natively, but surely you understand that A) That's not a popular format currently and B) We're on FCP X 10.0.2....there's plenty of updates to come.

Side note: any particular reason why you aren't converting to something like ProRes? Typically much easier on your system while editing.

6. rufhausen macrumors regular

I've just run into this same issue, but its easy to overcome. You can just copy the .mts files from the source (SD card, etc.) and use a cheap/free conversion app like Media Converter to make a non-destructive .mov copy that can be imported into Final Cut Pro X or (I assume) iMovie. I'd provide links, etc but I'm not at my computer.

7. snowstormtea, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

snowstormtea macrumors newbie

Download QuickTime plug-in from Panasonic called AVCCAMImporter, install and you will be able to work with AVCHD files without any problem with your favourite video editing software.

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

AVCHD is based on H.264, which is a distribution format. You shouldn't be editing it. Transcode to ProRes and your computer will handle it without a problem. FCPX supports doing this automatically. All you have to do is check the option for creating optimized media and it will do all the rendering in the background.

9. MacProDude macrumors member

I've been trying to figure out the same thing with AVCHD 1080/60p on a Panny TM700 along with FCP X Trial. FCPX/iMovie don't seem to recognize AVCHD 1080/60p clips without rewrapping or transcoding.

For rewrapping, Rewrap2m4v resulted in artifacts or green flickering for me.
    I haven't tried the Media Converter suggestion that was already offered.

And, AVCCAMImporter apparently doesn't work with iMovie or FCP X (at least, yet...) based on the listed requirements, so the workflow for either is not quite clear (at least, to me...).

What did work for me was Clipwrap 2 (trial limited to 1min clips) to rewrap (it'll also transcode to prores). After that, FCPX imports the files fine...at which point I let FCPX transcode it per Erendiox's suggestion. I suppose I could skip a step by letting Clipwrap transcode it to prores before import, but I haven't tried that, yet.

FWIW, Clipwrap 2 is 50% off thanksgiving coupon: TURKEY for $25USD. I just picked it up, myself and may pick up FCP X once the trial expires if clipwrap remains a feasible solution for now.

Hope this helps!