Editing .AVI files on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shmay, Apr 5, 2011.

1. shmay macrumors newbie

I just want to piece together a few clips from .avi movies, but of course I cannot do that with iMovie. I wish that I could use Movie Maker. Anyway, is there a way to edit .avi files on mac, without resorting to converting them to .mp4 or mov and quadrupling their size?

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe Adobe Premiere can help, but as .avi files normally use highly compressive MPEG-4 codecs like Divx or Xvid, and as MPEG-4 codecs are only meant for delivery and not editing, you might not get around transcoding the .avi files to a proper editing format like QuickTime (.mov container) using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for video and Uncompressed for audio.
    If you want to edit properly, and WMM is not a proper editing tool, there is really no way around transcoding when you want to use iMovie (not a proper editing tool too, but thousand times better than WMM).

3. shmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Could you recommend a good converting program? I've googled around, but mainly ran into a bunch of advertising pages.

4. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I use Adobe Premiere for putting clips together and MPEG Streamclip to split clips up and convert.

5. simsaladimbamba

MPEG Streamclip, it even has a Batch List (CMD+B), thus you can add several video files to a list and let MSC transcode them all to the same format and only have to set the settings one.

6. shmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch. I'll try trimming and converting with MPEG Streamclip, then do whatever with iMovie.