Editing AVI in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MikeFightNight, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MikeFightNight macrumors newbie

I am wondering how I can edit AVI. in FCP? Or is the best thing to convert it to MOV somehow?

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

First quicktime should be able to read it. (get perian if quicktime doesn't play it). Then you can just import it into FCP. But you'll have to render it all the time, it won't read and play it natively.

So you could convert it as niki2kelly says (with VLC you can export it too, but you could also use quicktime to convert it). Then FCP will play it natively. And you'll be able to edit it faster.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also use MPEG Streamclip to convert it something native, depending on the resolution and frame rate of the .avi file.

Also .avi is a container for codecs like DIVX/XVID and so on, like .mov is a container for .h264 and Sorensen codecs and so on.

So the file type matters, but the codec matters a lot more.

Btw, if the .avi is in SD quality, you could use the Apple DV codec, when you convert it vi MPEG Streamclip, which is way faster than QTPro in my experience.

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I remember when I had Quicktime Pro if I converted .avi files to .mov files (and then imported to my iPod Touch), there was a lag. But I've been wanting to convert some avi files (which I think are divx/xvid) for watching on an iPod

5. macbain59 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. Whenever I compress the .avi file (I've used compressor, VLC encoder, Any Video Encoder, FCP's recompression, DivX Converter) the video is like half the length and its all just a white box. With all of the programs. When I try to import the original .avi file into FCP it says it doesnt support that codec, but I cant figure out what codec it is. Someone said to find the codec, open the file in quicktime and press control-I. Problem is, when i try to open the file in quicktime it just tells me quicktime doesnt supprt that codec and doesnt open it!

6. hsilver macrumors regular

Flip4Mac offers an avi. to QT convertor. The WMV /AVI player is free but the convertor is $29.00