Editing Choices on Editing Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Ok, I am not new to editing, but am new to the versions they have out now...

I used Final Cut Pro in college, but what are the difference's between these new versions?

Final Cut Studio?
    is it for studio work?

Final Cut Server?
    is it for web?

Fina Cut Express?
    is it like Pro?

and why was After Effects taken off the apple website?
    I just want a software to edit from field, or studio and be able to work well with the options of graphics, manipulation, etc.

Sincerely,
    Lost in Translation

2. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. hwhalers macrumors regular

Final Cut Studio is Apple's professional editing suite. It includes Final Cut Pro, Color, Motion, Soundtrack, and DVD Studio.

Final Cut Server is a workflow management system. If you don't have multiple edit bays connected to storage systems with more than 25TB of RAID storage, you don't need it.

Final Cut Express is supposed to be a happy medium between iMovie and FCS. Ask some people and they'll say it's a slightly cut down version of Final Cut Pro, and is an incredible value. Ask others, and they'll say it's just good enough to make you want FCS, and thus not worth the money.

Read about FCE's limitations, make some notes. Then figure out what you do and what features you used in FCP. Then, go try out FCE and bring your notes with you. See if the limitations are enough to impede your work. That's the only way you can make an informed choice.