Editing Cloud Documents?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by BrianJ844, Oct 3, 2012.

1. BrianJ844 macrumors member

Howdy all, the wife and I are new iPhone 5 users. We have a budget excel sheet that we keep up with on the home computer. I was thinking we could put it on skydrive, dropbox, google drive or something of the like and both edit it from our phones but that doesn't seem possible because you can't save it back to the cloud storage center from the phone. Is there a way around this?

Would this be possible with iCloud? If it is doable with iCloud then is there a way to share between two iCloud accounts?

Thanks

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yes, all changes are instantly reflected in iCloud. Create a new iCloud ID and use that for just document syncing, or use one of your IDs on both phones, but on one phone as a secondary account just for document syncing.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For this specific use you really should get Numbers for the Mac and for the iPhones. Then save a document in iCloud and access it in all 3 places.

There may be workarounds to what you want to do, but given as how Microsoft does not make Excel for iOS they'd be just that: A workaround. IF you really want to do it then I suggest Dropbox for storage. I don't know what app will edit Excel documents on iOS, but whatever you find, use that with Dropbox.

But for me, I'm always more interested in finding a solid, supported solution that I know will work for sure. In this case it's Apple's 'Numbers.'

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

iCloud is great at what it does, but I really wish it would support shared documents.

IIRC, only the primary iCloud account can use iCloud documents (and bookmarks, photostream, find my phone, etc) so if you create a shared account for document storage, you can't also then use iCloud for your own stuff.

5. BrianJ844 thread starter macrumors member

I found an app called Documents Free (Mobile Office Suite) by Savy Soda that claims to work with DropBox and Google Docs. Has anyone tried this? I am naturally at work so will play with this (or try setting up the iCloud thing) later tonight.

Thanks