Editing Contact order...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by enter, Jul 6, 2009.

1. enter macrumors member

just curious, is it possible to arrange the order of the numbers store within a specific contact?

For example, I grouped all the people at work under the contact named 'work', and used the custom label for each persons name. I did this randomly from my contact sheet at first, but now I want to re-organze the order to the people at work I contact the most to be at the top of the list (so I dont always have to scroll down or to the middle to look for them)

hope this isnt too confusing. thanks.

2. teaguecole macrumors member

what an unorthodox way of creating contacts... but if your already going down that path, just add work as your favorites, and it will ask which number to use, and then select the number or person you want in your favorites and just do that multiple times...but no there is no way to organize the numbers of a contact

but you do realize you can create normal contacts and then put those contacts in a group called work, instead of doing what you did which is the complete opposite and makes things 10 times harder.

3. enter thread starter macrumors member

Oh thanks for the reply. Ya the way u deacribed is what I wanted to do but how do I create a group and stick the contacts in there? Can't find the option or would of done this instead. Reason why I have to do this for work is I have a long list of staff that I sometimes have to get hold of for emergency reasons. I don't want to male my phonebook more congested then it has to be. Thanks

4. teaguecole macrumors member

well, on a mac, i use address book, which is pretty simple. you just click on the plus button below the group column and label the new group work. after that you just drag the and drop the contacts you want in to that group. once finished, plug your phone in and sync it. and then when you go in to contacts you will see an option for groups on the top left of the contacts application.

if your using a pc, i am not 100% sure how to create groups. however, i would look in your email program or where your contacts sync to on your computer and see if you can create something like a group.

also if you have an exchange email account, you could use that to make a separate "group" because exchange servers usually have email, contacts, and calendars or at least my school exchange account does.