Editing Contacts on Mac, then syncing changes to iOS device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RolandNights, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

This is actually for my iPod Touch (4th Generation on iOS5), but I figured since Contact Sync issue is more common amongst iPhone users, I should ask here.

• iPod Touch (4th Generation, iOS 5.0.1)
    • Mid-2010 Macbook Pro (Lion 10.7.3)

Anyway, I've sync'd my contacts to my iPod Touch before. I was editing the contacts on my MBP by adding new contacts, new numbers/emails, adding pictures, etc. However, when I sync the contacts in iTunes, none of the changes are reflected on my iPod Touch.

Things to keep in mind:

• I tried flicking Contacts in the iCloud settings on and off (on both the computer and the iPod settings), syncing with iTunes on and off
    • I went to iTunes and checked off "Replace information on this iPod" under Contacts
    • Sync'd with "Sync Address Book Contacts" both on and off
    • I have iCloud enabled on the Address Book on my MBP
    • I do NOT have my address book set up to sync with Google and Yahoo messenger
    • The contacts already on my iPod were from contacts I had on my computer already. I never sync'd my MBP with other address books
    • It seems to simply ADD contacts/duplicates to both my iPod and my Mac's address books, but not sync them together

Anyone with any suggestions for what I can do? Is there a way I can just delete all the contacts on my iPod Touch? I'm trying to figure this out because I plan on getting an iPhone 4S in the future, and I want to know if this sync'ing isn't going to be an issue.

2. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, if anyone's kinda curious, I kiiiinda solved it. Here's what I did, lemme know if someone has a different solution.

1. Open Address Book
    2. Click the red bookmark
    3. Select all the contacts listed in All from My Mac
    4. Paste into the All iCloud list

From there, whatever edits I make on my computer show up immediately on my iPod and vice versa. This changes are only reflected in the "All iCloud" group in my iPod Touch's contacts. It ONLY changes the contacts listed in "All iCloud" and not in the "All from My Mac" list. I hope this doesn't become an issue in future syncings.