Editing Content of Cells in Numbers 3.2.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mary H, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

I recently updated to Maverick and then updated my iWork programs. One of the things I am trying to figure out how to do is to edit the content of a cell in Numbers. So far all I have been able to figure out is how to delete and re-enter all of the data. I am sometimes just wanting to correct a spelling or number error not re-enter all of the information. It can be very frustrating especially if there is a lot of data in the cell.

Thanks,
    mary

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have always just double-clicked on the cell.

A.

3. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Double clicking doesn't allow me to edit the content, only replace it completely.

For clarification: Say I put in the cell "The location of the stores are in Winnipig, Steinback and Morrow" - Winnipig, Steinback and Morrow are spelling errors and should be Winnipeg, Steinbach and Morris. When I double click, the only option I have is to retype the entire content not just correcting the typos.

4. msephton macrumors 6502

msephton

Double clicking should put the caret in the cell and then you can use the cursor keys to move it around and backspace/delete/select text and edit.

[​IMG]

A second double click after the first will select the current word under the mouse pointer.

[​IMG]

If you initially do a triple click it will select the whole contents of the cell. Could this be what you are seeing?

[​IMG]

Simply typing will replace all selected text.

However, at this point you can still use the cursor keys to bring back the caret, or single click to deselect all the text and edit the text however you want.

5. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully then once I update to Yosemite, the error that is not allowing me to do that will be fixed with the new updates to the apps.

Thanks
    mary

6. vkd Suspended

vkd

With the cell highlighted hold Option and press Enter. You will now be in editing mode, retaining the original cell contents.

Hope that helped. :)

7. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Yes!!! Thank you! That helped. Love that Option key :D