editing control board with joystick

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by milligan, Jan 17, 2010.

1. milligan macrumors member

I don't know the correct terminology for this question.

Re: Editing. Back in the day, we would edit using a very simple 2 deck system. 3/4 inch tape. I forget what the control board was called, but it was more or less just video in and video out and a joystick for back and forth. All very simple. My question is, Can I get this control board and hook it up to imovie?

Thanks

2. baddseed macrumors newbie

I think the edit controller you are talking about is by Convergence. We had one at the cable station that I did my college internship at.

The way it controlled the video decks was through 9 pin RS422 which would have to adapted to USB or something then you would have to write code to make the program recognize the commands.

There are these things:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Contour Design/004980/

Might work with iMovie.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

iMovie, being a consumer-oriented NLE, does not support external control surfaces.

I know that FCP supports control surfaces (MIDI, mixer, etc.) for its audio mixer and the other apps (Soundtrack Pro, Color) support dedicated surfaces as well, but nothing to my knowledge for video edit control. About the closest thing you'll get are jog/shuttle wheels, like the products Contour Design makes.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Attached Files: