Editing Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicoles, Jan 18, 2010.

1. nicoles macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I made the switch to Mac recently after my Dell laptop crashed, and I had just had enough of Vista. I'm LOVING it and getting accustomed to it, but one thing is driving me completely CRAZY and I hate it-

I run a website and on my PC, I would simply edit the coding myself, in notepad. They are PHP files, and uploaded perfectly, no problems.

I opened the file to update the site tonight and it opened in Opera, and didnt show my code. I selected to open it in textedit, and edited it fine, uploaded, etc. After awhile, I found something else that needed to be updated and opened in TextEdit again and now it only shows me a PREVIEW of that PHP file, and not the coding. How can I fix this-- or what else can I use that's going to strictly show me the code only and edit it?

I appreciate any help, this is driving me completely crazy, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not sure, but something like TextWrangler might be what you are looking for

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

There are preferences in TextEdit for this. Under "Open and Save" there is a bit about ignoring rich text in HTML.

But yeah, grab text wrangler.

4. nicoles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I knew it had to be something relatively simple that I probably screwed up or missed somewhere, but just couldn't figure it out!

Thanks for the link, I will download that and try it out too! :)

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

6. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

I Second that...but

MacVim

Vim, but you can use Apple shortcuts until you learn the full functionality.
    If you are doing html/php, check out the syntax highlighting for it.