Editing/Film Competition...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Dec 23, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

So browsing around the forums I saw the plenty of photography competitions in the Digital Photography forum as was wondering if anyone thought it might be a good idea for the Digital Video sub-forum!

I was having a think and the comp. could just be based on a theme as the photography comps. are although for video this may be a bit vague.

Another idea I had is if the winner or anyone creates a short composition of music (or a section of a song, although I'm unsure of the legality) and the video must be set to this music.

Each entry could only be between 30s and a minute...

Another option is that everyone starts with the same footage (harder to organise) and a final film will be made from it based on anything!

What are everyone's views? Is it something you would like to see happen? Or a waste of time and I should quit whilst I'm ahead?!

Thanks

2. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

No takers on this? Some feedback negative or positive would be nice!

3. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

Positive: This "sub-thread" turns out to be a real hit with the members (ie; more Digital Video viewers and video posts).

Negative: This "sub-thread" turns out to be a real bust with the members (ie; that thread won't have a single reply for years).

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Looks more like the negative with the lack of replies I got!

5. pigbat macrumors regular

I think its actually a pretty good idea. I'm not sure how it would be executed but I like it.

6. neonkru macrumors regular

i think it is a good idea. maybe not using the same footage but, giving a theme. like, nature, animals, tecnhology people etc... some theme that everyone should be able to shoot or at least almost everyone.

then maybe someone providing $ for some award for some little motivation. also it would be need like 3 people for the juri.

if you really want it to happen. then, good work on it=) i will be waiting for the competition to enter, although i won't be winning anything=P

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I suppose if we set the right criteria.

E.g. 90 second length, maybe a set song? a topic? Then maybe like the photography contests it can work by the winner setting the theme and critiquing the various other videos that are entered.

It's only really a good idea if we are going to get more than one or two entrants.

I think it would have to be at least 10!

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

One problem is the time to create a 90 seconds piece of moving images, it takes longer than just taking an image or even 90 for the photography contest.

When I made short films, one minute of finished film amounted to one day of 12 to 16 hours of work. That includes the shooting, editing of image and sound and the colour finish.
    To take such a big amount of time for a contest on a web forum might be harder to do accomplish, as one photo is made most of the time in a quicker fashion.

But it can be done faster though, I remember doing a 7 minute short in 48 hours, writing, getting the actors, shooting, editing and finally playing it out on tape.

Also this video subforum has less traffic than the digital photography subforum.

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I like the idea. My only concern could be the lack of footage, so yes if someone could provide some every week on a Dropbox account that would be great !!!