Editing from SSD, do I have this correct?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by njmitchel0, Nov 22, 2013.

1. njmitchel0 macrumors member

So Im thinking about getting a 256gb Samsung pro ssd to edit directly from. Am I correct in assuming I will see a significantly better editing experiece than from my 7200 drive (wd caviar black)?

Both drives are external usb 3.0 btw

any help appreciated..

2. Unami macrumors 6502a

i have no experiences with external ssd enclosures.... but according to this article, it should give you about 50% more read/write speed until the usb 3.0 bandwith is maxed out.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2039427/how-fast-is-usb-3-0-really-.html

if and when you'd notice this in editing depends on what you're doing. anything below, say, 5 simultaneous streams of prores422 fullhd-footage should be below the data rate of the harddrive, so you wouldn't see any difference. but if you were dealing with a lot of uncompressed footage or a multicam edit with a lot of angles, the ssd would help with that.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I edit off a USB 3.0 SSD. Its super silent, never gets hot (and I mean NEVER) and I can use higher bit rate codecs like 10-bit uncompressed if I want to maintain maximum quality on a short edit (unless of course I had a 1TB SSD but thats way out of my budget for a single drive device). Sure SSD's have limited read and write cycles but its not like you'll kill a hard drive in even a year or two. I'm getting 200MB/s read and write with my SSD but Its not an official enclosure, I used a SATAIII USB connector from another device to an intel 520 180GB. With a LaCie drive SSD you could see read as high as 400MB/s...still I'm very pleased with the 200MB/s I get, especially when I have to capture from a capture card where I don't want to risk dropped frames on a fast spinning disk or have to use my boot drive.