Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winsors1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Pickens, SC
I have a Mac pro and use Photoshop Elements 6 to edit my photos. When I edit a photo and do "Save As", I save it in the Event folder it came from, but when I go back into iPhoto and open the Event folder the photo is not not there. Where is it?, and why isn't it in the Event folder? To make things even nore confusing if I "save as" in a different Event folder it doesn't show up there either. I'm confused... One last note, I'm a "newbie" to using a Mac, so I still in my learning curve.

Jan 30, 2006
As far as I know, if you want to edit a photo with an external editor, then you need to import from iPhoto the edited photo once you have finished. You can't just add it to the Event folder thru Finder.

My recommendation would be to make an extra folder containing all your edited photos. And then in iPhoto you can import those and put them in their corresponding events.

Now, if you edit photos a lot, then maybe Aperture would be a much better option for you. It completely manages your photos, so when I click "Edit with Photoshop" from within Aperture, it opens the photo and when I save it is saved within the Aperture Library. So you never have to be dealing with the finder.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a Mac pro and use Photoshop Elements 6 to edit my photos. When I edit a photo and do "Save As", I save it in the Event folder ...

When you save just do a "save", not "save as".

What happens is that when iPhoto passes a file to PS it puts it in a file with a made-up unique name. iPhoto expects the edited image to remain in that file. "save" will put the result of your work back where it goes.

One more reason to let iPhoto keep your work in it's own library. It you do it that way it "just works" if you try to manage the files youself then you need to understand a lot more about how it all works under the hood. What happens when you tried the "Save As" was you just stuck a new file in the folder but iPhoto's internal database was not updated. iPhoto does NOT show the content of folders it shows the content of it's internal database. The database contains pointers to the physical location of the image files

An analogy is with a public library. If you bought a book and put in on a shelf yourself, no one will ever be able to find it because there is no card catalog entry for it. They call iPhoto's collection of images a "library" for a good reason.

As far as I know, if you want to edit a photo with an external editor, then you need to import from iPhoto the edited photo once you have finished. You can't just add it to the Event folder thru Finder.

That's doing it the "hard way". If you just use "save" then the iPhoto/Photoshop integraton is seamless. BTW Aperture works just like iPhoto except the Aperture is beter at handling versions. Another problem with re-importing the edited file is that then the connection with the unedited file is lost and the "revert to origanal" function would not work.

Winsors1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Pickens, SC
Editing in Photoshop -Where is the Photo?

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped with my issue. Ends up doing just "Save" is the ticket. I was hoping "Save As" would work but not if I want to use iPhoto as my main library. I could use Apeture, ADC, or some other software but for right now iPhoto will be fine. So thanks for everyones help.
Winsor.....

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Before to edit a photo in PS, it’s a good idea to dublicate it in iPhoto. That way you keep the original.

It would be more accurate to say "...That way you can see the original without effort"

iPhoto will always keep the original and let you revert to it but will not normally show the original side by side with the edited image unless you duplicate it. But note that the duplication means you now have, in addtion to the original and the edited version a second copy of the unedited original.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I edit external to iPhoto with CS2, save in a working folder, then import to iPhoto when I'm happy with the completed image.

If I use the iPhoto system to manage the edit (whether within iPhoto or an external editor) I can't then view the originals and edits side by side. I sometimes have multiple edited versions of the same photo.

I also prefer to name my photos according to a specific protocol; original RAW images are imported by an external importer that renames them yyyy-mm-dd. Those are imported to iPhoto as an event, and tagged. The images I edit externally are usually named more topically - and then imported back to the same event folder as the originals.

A little more work, but results in a little more flexibility within iPhoto to view multiple versions side by side, including original; originals and edits are named separately for easier version management.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I'll bet you aren't saving the file as a .jpg

In Photoshop CS3 the default is set to save as a .psd which your other program will not recognize as a photo nor will it be able to open it.

So, if you want to do "save as" (very important if you want to keep the master file untoched) make sure you select .jpg from the pull down menu underneath where you type the file name.

hendog100

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
Editing iPhoto picture in Elements 6

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the Mac World, so please bear with me. I read the other posts outlining how to edit and save a picture from iPhoto into Elements and back. Here is what I'm running into:

1) Imported Raw pictures directly from Camera into iPhoto.

2) Right-clicked on picture and selected "Edit in external editor". (note - I did this directly from the new Event that was created)

3) Elements Raw converter is launched.
4) Click "Open Image"
5) Edited the picture (in this case, I converted to B&W)
6) Clicked Save (not Save As)
7) Under "Format" I selected "JPG 2000 (which I've never heard of before)

8) Now it gets strange. For some reason the file extension is set to .jpf and not the .jpg that I'm accustomed to. I select this as there is no other option with the exception of TIFF and Photoshop Raw.

9) Click Save

10) This launches another Window labeled JPEG 2000 with the following settings: JPF Settings (File Size=7794k, Lossless=unchecked, Fast Mode=unchecked, Quality=50, Include Metadata=checked, Transparency=unchecked, JP2 Compatible=checked, Optimization Order= Growing Thumbnail, Download Rate=14.4.

11) Click OK

12) When I go back to iPhoto the new version of the picture does NOT appear.

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something very obvious here.

I also wanted to say that this Forum has been a great source of information and I hope to some day be able to add a little myself :)

Jay

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
You could always do the follows:

1. Connect the camera to the computer, and let iPhoto start downloading the photos, be it the "Selected" ones or "All" (whichever way you want), OR just ignore iPhoto and do the following:

a. Launch PSE6. As PSE6 shows on the screen, you will notice a small window giving you the options to download photos from a scanner, and from a camera as well. Select "Download From Camera." PSE6 will automatically launch "Bridge," which in turn will allow you to download the photos you select, or to download all. Download all the photos, but as it asks you for a location you want the photos downloaded to, choose "Desktop." Bridge will create a folder with a name or date. I usually choose a "by date" option, and Bridge downloads the photo to a dated folder on the Desktop. Bridge is much faster, and will finish downloading the photos ahead of iPhoto every time.

2. Quit Bridge, quit iPhoto, and switch to PSE6. Select whichever photo you want from the folder on the Desktop, and open it with PSE6. If it's a RAW image, you will notice that PSE6 will give you several options not available when using iPhoto to edit your photos. Some of these options are as follows: Clarity, Exposure, Fill light, Temperature, and a few more that allow you to control how the image is developed. Lastly, open the image.

3. This image that you just opened is not the original RAW, but a “developed” image from a negative where the RAW is the negative. PSE6 won't save another image over the original RAW photo, unless you force it to do so. More than likely the new image will be in 16-bit mode. You can work on this image as it is, but not all function within PSE6 will be available for you to choose from. At this point you have a few options, but I will keep it simple:

a. You can just save this image as "Save As," and to TIFF format, but don't close the image on display. The file will be save to the same folder, but with ".tif" at the end of the name. This is an uncompressed TIFF original image that you want to save for future use.

b. You can launch iPhoto, and "Import" the TIFF photo into iPhoto, and then edit it further within iPhoto and save it as you wish.

c. Or you can go back to the image on display, and decide if you want all the functions of PSE6. If that's the case, change the image's mode from 16-bit, to 8-bit, and do all the work you want to do to it, and save to JPEG. This new image will be saved to the same folder on the Desktop, but in JPEG format. Again, this is a copy of the TIFF image, but now somewhat compressed, and in JPEG format. Now you can import the processed image into iPhoto if you want.
What I usually do after I have enough PP photos in the folders on the Desktop is to burn DVDs with all the photos for safekeeping, and also to some external hard drives that I only energize or “turn on” whenever I want to save the same photos.

If you download the photos with iPhoto, it will save the original RAW images in the “Originals” folders. When you edit an original photo and then save it, it should not save the PP photo over the original. However, to be on the safe side, always “Save As”. If you have edited the photo within an “Event” folder and just “Save,” the photo will be save to B&W or whatever you have done to it, and in the same folder.

Once the photos are saved to DVD's, and hard drives, including the duplicates, etc., then you can trash the photos in the folder on the Desktop, or you can choose to keep them there. However, it will take a tremendous chunk of hard drive space. Those RAW and TIFF images are usually uncompressed.

hendog100

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
Thanks for all of the info. I'll definitely give this a try. Ultimately what I'm looking for is the most efficient workflow.

Thanks again!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thanks for all of the info. I'll definitely give this a try. Ultimately what I'm looking for is the most efficient workflow.

Thanks again!

I understand, and that's why I sometimes don't use iPhoto to download all the photos, but a few selected ones only, and the ones I am interested on displaying on my computer using iPhoto. Those photos that I want to work on, and then save, I download from the camera or card using PSE6 and Bridge. when these photos look what it believe is their best, then I import some into iPhoto, and save all in another location. However, I also let iPhoto download and save the best images in the Originals folder, and then delete those I don't want to display in iPhoto (not the originals). Of the copies, in iPhoto, sometimes I do a little PP as needed within iPhoto, but only on those images I plan to e-mail to friends, maybe print one or two, etc.

sidharth80

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Chicago,IL
Hi Guys!
I am trying to use edit with photoshop option from aperture... But i m not getting that option. There is this option - Edit with external editor... but it is greyed out..
Can anyone please give me pointers on how to get this option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.