Editing iPhoto Videos in iMovie on MBP? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Echthros, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Echthros macrumors member

Hey everyone. Over the summer, I used my iPhone 4 to record some video taken over a vacation in hopes of making a movie whenever I could. Today, I imported my videos from my iPhone into my Macbook Pro using iPhoto, and then iMovie automatically synced the videos just placed in iPhoto
    First of all, I posted the exact same topic in the "Digital Media" section, however it's been about two weeks since, and I've received no response due to the section's user traffic, or lack thereof.

Now, my problem is that I recorded about 5-6 hours of footage and iMovie has it all in one location called "iPhoto Videos." Furthermore, whenever I click into that location (folder), iMovie lags ridiculously it's very hard for me to navigate between the various days as it's all compiled into one location/folder.

Also, I'd like to mention that I've made movies before, however they were neatly organized by date as I was able to import the footage straight to iMovie instead of iPhoto (using a digital camera with a video recording feature).

Is there any way to organize my videos taken from my iPhone in iMovie? Or possibly re-import straight into iMovie? (but I unfortunately deleted all the footage from my phone as it was taking up a huge amount of space.)
    Echthros is offline Reply With Quote

2. Echthros thread starter macrumors member

3. Echthros thread starter macrumors member

4. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Hey i also make quite a few movies in imovie so i may be able to help you.

when you click iphoto videos, the lag is just your computer loading it, i had an enormous amount of lag on my 2007 macbook, and it slows down for about 1/2 a second then runs smoothly on my 2010 mbp with 2.66 ghz i7. I am not sure on your system specs but thats what i experienced.

One thing i do with my videos because i love my backups just incase anything happens. I tend to make my own backups so i import off my go pro pro hd helmet cam directly into a pre made folder in my video section in my finder box, you can click and drag them in your finder out of your iphoto, it helps me keep photos and videos separated. So from there i import them into my imovie using file > import > selected video and it creates events in the imovie event library.

I hope some of that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

5. Echthros thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information. I did what you said, however for some reason the footage was not divided into the days at which the events were recorded, which is a huge inconvenience as I have a bit less than 3 hours of film. And to make matters worse, the imported footage is extended (as I recorded it on an iPhone 4, (vertically) which makes everything disproportional.

Any advice for that?