editing m2ts files on an imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mapollo2112, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mapollo2112 macrumors newbie

I'm just taking my first look at video editing have a Panasonic HD camcorder (HDC-SD10) and an imac running Snow Leopard.

The format from the Camcorder is .m2ts which play great on the PS3 but won't play on the iMac unless I use VLC.

Now I'd like to edit these video files in iMovie and know that I have to convert them to be able to do so.

Obviously I'd like to be able to convert these a) losslessly and b) if possible using freeware. Losslessly is the main requirement though.

Is it possible to do a lossless conversion and if so with what software.????

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What software are you going to use for editing?

iMovie
    Final Cut

I don't know how lossless those are but give them a try

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When you connect your camera to your Mac and iMovie is running, you can import the footage from the camera via iMovie and iMovie transcodes to video to its own format (.mov, Apple Intermedia Codec, lossless audio).

Have you tried that way already?

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question has been asked several times?

4. mapollo2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies,

Being new to the Mac arena I didn't even know MRoogle even existed. it's now bookmarked.

I found the following sentence.

"if you want the best video quality AVCHD (m2ts) format from your camcorder stick with windows converters which can edit AVCHD files natively"

So it might be looking like purchasing Windows 7 and doing the bootcamp thing, which I was going to do anyways, and editing from there.

No point having an HD camcorder and then losing quality when editing.

5. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I have a Panasonic HDC as well (1080/60p). Were you able to simply convert using Win7? What software are you using?

6. Lokrado macrumors regular