Editing Mac OS X files on Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by qwerty0033, May 5, 2011.

1. qwerty0033 macrumors newbie

Hi, I run Snow Leopard natively on my MBP, and have installed Windows 7 on bootcamp.

So, i boot into Win7 and i can read files on my Mac partition but i cant edit/ write to them.
    I was wondering if there was any way to edit/write files on Mac partition while being in Win7 partition.

I've done my search and found MacDrive to be an option, but it costs a lot where i'm from. Are there any free alternatives?

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Alternatively, you could create a third partition on your laptop and format it as FAT32 or exFAT and keep all of your data on there so both Windows and Mac and read & write the files.

3. wpotere Guest

I haven't found anything that works well for Windows. I would recommend that you give MacDrive a try or look a Paragon. Both are well maintained and if there is an issue have tools to help you repair the partition.

4. qwerty0033, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

qwerty0033 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, FAT32 only allows for 4GB, right? Anyway, can you please tell me how this can be achieved? Links would be appreciated :)

I see, but like i said, MacDrive is paid.. So is Paragon.. i need a free version, if you know of any. thanks :D

Side note: Did you know that NTFS Mounter works perfectly and quietly for writing NTFS from HFS?

Cheers :)

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Individual files can only be 4 gig in size. The partition itself can be much larger

6. qwerty0033 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, does this mean that I can transfer files that are 4GB or less at once into the FAT32? Assuming as an example I have a 20GB video, I wont be able to transfer it into the FAT32, right?

And also, I wanna ask: does it mean that while in Windows 7, i put my files into the FAT32, and then boot into OS X and retrieve it from the FAT32? And this works vice versa, right?

One more thing, files on FAT32 can be read/written by both Windows 7 AND OS X?

7. qwerty0033 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone answer my questions, please? Bump bump :)

8. hans1972 macrumors regular

exFAT supports larger files

You can´t store your 20Gb video file on a FAT32 file system but you can on an exFAT file system.

NTFS
    * Windows read/write
    * OS X read/write (write requires a free driver NTFS-3G)
    * Support large files

HFS+
    * Windows can´t read/write
    * OS X read/write
    * Support large files

exFAT
    * Windows read/write
    * OS X read/write
    * Support large files

FAT32
    * Windows read/write
    * OS X read/write
    * Only support file size below 4Gb

Apple added exFAT support around 10.6.4.

9. kwajaffa macrumors newbie

Hi, I have my MBP set up with OS X, W7 and a FAT32 partition so I think I can answer your questions:

You will not be able to transfer your 20GB video file to the FAT32 partition. It will give you an error. But you can work with files that are 4GB and less.

Files on the FAT32 partition will be available and accessible from both OS X and Windows 7. You should have no problems reading and writing to the partition from either operating system. Good luck!

10. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I'd say suck it up and buy Macdrive. It works great and I often edit files and save on the windows side into my mac partition.

11. qwerty0033 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was informative :)
    However, it still doesn't solve the bit that i need to write onto the HFS partition FROM the NTFS(windows) partition.

If i COULD suck it up and buy Macdrive, would I have started this thread, considering i already know about it?

12. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

OP, after reading the responses to your thread and seeing that there aren't too many viable solutions to your issue, I recommended what I said earlier. I didn't mean to suck it up in the beginning.

So I recommend you not deal with this anymore, buy the software, and be on your way =).