Editing many photos under 500KB

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keninjapan, Jan 6, 2008.

1. keninjapan macrumors newbie

I am taking many photos for putting up on an auction site. The photos must be under 500KB. It is very time consuming to edit each photo. Can you suggest some things that will make this more automated and easier? Here is the process I have been using.
    I take photos with a Fuji FinePixS602 and then open the photos in iPhoto and then drag them onto my desktop. Then open the photos one by one with adobe photoshop 8.0, rotate if needed, open image size and try to guess what will be under 500KB usually width 10.5 length 14 inches for photos of books. Then I save for web and if it is under 500KB I save in pictures. Then upload them to the auction site.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could write an automator script that would shrink the images.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why not just export them directly from iPhoto? You can specify the maximum pixel dimensions of the photos. 1000 X 1000 generally yields pictures somewhat less than 500 KB.

4. keninjapan thread starter macrumors newbie

swiftaw Thank you! My problem is I can barely write my name.
    Wordmunger Thank you! I did this but came on another problem the auction only accepts gif and jpeg which iphoto does not have as a choice to export.

Any more help appreciated.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think that's true. Are you using the Export command from the File menu? I think you might be using the Share menu, which won't give you what you need.

6. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Could you not simply change the resolution settings on your camera? Just select lower quality to take each image below 500KB

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Open Automator
    Add "Scale Images" to the workflow.
    Save as Plugin for Finder
    Then, in Finder you can ctrl+click on your pictures, select the automator plugin you just created and the images will be resized.