Editing Movies for Fun

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kikobarbada, Feb 13, 2008.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Hello.

I would like to know if there is any book I can buy or any sites that have non-edited material for you to train your editing skills.
    Thanks.

2. acoustictones macrumors member

acoustictones

Just depends on what kind of software you plan on using (i.e.: iMovie, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Pro, etc.).

Simply Google something like Final Cut Pro Tutorials and you will find tons of stuff.

And as far as books, assuming that you are using either copy of Final Cut, go for the Final Cut training books from Diana Weynand (she writes the official training books for the Final Cut Certification courses).

Here is a link to a few of her books over at Amazon.com:

Amazon Link

I hope that helps. Her book aslo come with either a CD or DVD full of clips that she has you edit along with her. So they are pretty cool tutorials that should really help ya.

3. boazjoe macrumors member

For Tutorials.....

go to youtube and search final cut express tutorials. There are several really good tips.

Good Luck

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Take a camera and just go out and shoot a bunch of random ****. Practice with that.

5. acoustictones macrumors member

acoustictones

6. Galapp macrumors regular

if anyone have things that can help, I work with a Final Cut Pro 5.0...

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Script up something cheesy quick, grab a buddy and go shoot it. Then proceed to edit. Couple guys and I whipped up a crazy thing once where one guys car got stolen so he chased him down on a bike and got his car back. Completely petarded but a good time and used a variety of editing techniques. I was teaching a class on iMovie at a local High School and I needed some source material. Heck shoot your dog, or cat, or Mexican jumping beans, anything. The more material you got the more editing you can do.

8. seany916 macrumors 6502

1.. editing is NOT fun. it's a TON of work, especially in the beginning

2. I LOVE amateur work (mostly because I edit professional footage). It's much more interesting (provided it isn't Blair Witch style)

3. The more editing/shooting you do, the more you'll want to invest in equipment. This gets VERY EXPENSIVE.

my suggestion to you... find another hobby or thing to do for fun.

don't say "LIFE" didn't warn you...

that said, if you're passionate and this is what you want to do, hook up with some user groups in your area AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT until you actually know something. you'll learn more by listening than trying to show everyone in the room how much you already know (and look really stupid in the process)