Resolved Editing movies in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cheetah05, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Cheetah05, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

Cheetah05 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to edit a movie in iMovie without importing it into iMovies library first.

All I wish to do it trim a movie down, keeping the quality/encoding settings EXACTLY the same as source for both sound and video. I'm guessing iMovie will try and do some magic post/pre processing and maybe compress it.

Is this possible? If not, is there any freeware that will allow me to do this?

(I was then going to use handbrake to compress it)

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You could use MpegStreamClip to edit pieces of your movie file.

Use the "Save as.." option rather than "Export" since all you need to do is save the portion of the clip into a new container file. ie: No conversion is done.

This all depends on what your source movie file is/where it came from/what format it is.

3. Cheetah05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Source movie is from a webcam taken in photobooth. I want to trim bits out of the webcast (from the beginning and end). I was then going to compress it with handbrake.

I take it this can't be done how I want in iMovie then?

Thanks.

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yes, it can, but it will do it's own conversion when you import the movie into iMovie. I'm assuming you wanted to avoid that.

5. Cheetah05 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I needed to know - thanks.

Just to confirm - the program you suggested, it will keep the same encoding for video and audio as the source and just trim the movie.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You may can trim the movie in Quick time, but you may need Quicktime pro...not sure.

I think you basically open it, set the start header, and there should be a trim or cut function...just can't recall exactly how to do it.

MPEGStreamClip is great, free, and pretty easy to use. And it shouldn't edit the format unless you tell it to.

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Correct... No re-encoding is done. So long as you select "Save As..." rather than "Export..."

8. Cheetah05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent. Thank you very much guys.